• 1 Post By Sycraft

post #1 of 7 Old 11-09-2018, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So what are some opinions on HDR

Now that it’s been out for awhile is it hit or miss on content or is it always better with HDR and is the degree of which it is better extreme?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-10-2018, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
When done right, it is very nice. Just this week I got a new TV that does HDR and I've tired it out and it is pretty impressive. The Grand Tour looks great in HDR. Very bright and colorful (HDR content specifies a wider color gamut, which HDR TVs usually can handle). The difference is easy to see between the 4k HDR and 1080p SDR versions. It is more noticeable than the 4k IMO. That said, regular SDR content looks great too .

However, as with anything, the mastering and such plays a big role. The first thing I tired was Sabrina on Netflix, because it was the first thing I found with listed as HDR. It looks very "meh". I was playing with the brightness because it just seems kinda dark and lifeless for the most part. There are some scenes where there's bright colors, but the overall looks is kinda dull and washed out. I don't know if that is on purpose, or if whoever mastered it just isn't very good, but it wasn't impressive.
Bill likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-19-2018, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycraft View Post
When done right, it is very nice. Just this week I got a new TV that does HDR and I've tired it out and it is pretty impressive. The Grand Tour looks great in HDR. Very bright and colorful (HDR content specifies a wider color gamut, which HDR TVs usually can handle). The difference is easy to see between the 4k HDR and 1080p SDR versions. It is more noticeable than the 4k IMO. That said, regular SDR content looks great too .

However, as with anything, the mastering and such plays a big role. The first thing I tired was Sabrina on Netflix, because it was the first thing I found with listed as HDR. It looks very "meh". I was playing with the brightness because it just seems kinda dark and lifeless for the most part. There are some scenes where there's bright colors, but the overall looks is kinda dull and washed out. I don't know if that is on purpose, or if whoever mastered it just isn't very good, but it wasn't impressive.

I'm definitely not an expert, just an enthusiastic user, but my understanding doesn't always mean it's brighter and more vibrant, I think in some cases it's allowing for it to be actually darker, because you can have more visible in the dark with HDR. I agree that doesn't always result in the "wow" factor right off the bat, but I think it's still a legitimate use/choice. That was my impression of Sabrina, I didn't think it was washed out, but it didn't really pop with a lot of highlights. But I only watched maybe an episode and a half.

Now, there are some other things, like off the top of my head The OA or Death Note, which to me had virtually no HDR "goodness". I wouldn't have guessed it was an HDR grade at all. Now in some cases, the content just doesn't particularly lend itself to HDR anyway, like something like War Machine on Netflix which is just mainly a talking heads movie, I just pretty much write those off. But something like OA or Death Note to me could have had a lot more HDR flavor, and just didn't.

So anyway, I agree it's different from content to content, and I think sometimes it's a creator's choice, and sometimes just blah treatment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-19-2018, 03:00 PM

The issue I had with Sabrina wasn't just the lack of "wow" but that it looks flat and desaturated to me compared to something like Better Call Saul, which is not HDR. Like I said, maybe it was a deliberate choice, but to me it wasn't a good one. In particular the thing I noticed was skin tones, they seemed to just be more pale and desaturated than I thought they should.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-20-2018, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 69
It has been hit or miss. Sometimes it looks fantastic and sometimes it's too dark and you lose some of the details.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-22-2018, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS Commenter View Post
It has been hit or miss. Sometimes it looks fantastic and sometimes it's too dark and you lose some of the details.
I wonder if the problem is that some studios go too overboard on the peak brightness. So they decide to master for 2000 or 4000 nits, and your TV can't support that (only high end ones do 2k and I don't know any consumer grade hitting 4k). Your TV sees that and says "Well I can't do that, so I'd better rescale things in to what I can do to look right" and the net effect is things are too dark/washed out.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-27-2018, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycraft View Post
I wonder if the problem is that some studios go too overboard on the peak brightness. So they decide to master for 2000 or 4000 nits, and your TV can't support that (only high end ones do 2k and I don't know any consumer grade hitting 4k). Your TV sees that and says "Well I can't do that, so I'd better rescale things in to what I can do to look right" and the net effect is things are too dark/washed out.
There may be some truth to this. Bottom line is we are still in the infancy of home HDR and they are still working out some of the kinks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)