Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 04-18-2002, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just connected my PS2 to my Panny AE100 through component cables running through a DVDO Iscan Pro. All I have to say is WOWEEEE WOW WOW!! The picture is amazingly better than I have ever seen on a regular tv.

Anyone who has this projector and a PS2 must see this to believe it. I highly recommend the iscan and for the price, you just can't beat it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-18-2002, 06:30 PM

Where can I find the Iscan to go with my Ae100.
Thanks
John:confused:
post #3 of 25 Old 04-18-2002, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

I HAVE A 4 MONTH ISCAN PRO, EMAIL ME AT , MRJAZZZ.AOL.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 04-18-2002, 08:31 PM

CAN YOU POST SOME PICTURES? I'M INTERESTED IN SEEING THE PANNY WITH ISCAN IN ACTION. :D
post #5 of 25 Old 04-18-2002, 08:39 PM
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
or try AVS classifieds, Home Theater Forum or eBay. Or possibley audioreview.com but I haven't seen any there yet. Actually quite few posts a couple weeks back on HTF, who knows if they sold em or not :)
post #6 of 25 Old 04-18-2002, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi,

Latest PS2 game started to support progressive output. I heard one can even force the default component progressive to RGB progressive with sync-on-Green (like the Linux kit I heard). If the AE100 15pin VGA accepts RGB sync-on-Green then one can directly connect the PS2 to the AE100 15pin VGA for the best picture quality!

No I haven't tried any of these...

regards,

Li On
post #7 of 25 Old 04-19-2002, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yes, yes, post pictures! I'd be particularly interested in closeups of small text / horizontal lines to see how well the pixels line up. Do you see any combing artifacts?

Alexander

---
Anyone interested in an exodus from Alan Gouger's coffee shop?
post #8 of 25 Old 04-19-2002, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Will post pictures sometime this weekend. I hope they can do it justice!!
post #9 of 25 Old 04-19-2002, 08:43 AM

I was thinking of taking a different approach. Since I only have a VGA run to the ceiling mounted pj, everything needs to go in via the VGA. So the idea to use my denon 4800 receiver as a swith box and connect the PS2 via svideo to the receiver to the HTPC svideo-in of the capture card and use dScaler.

wdyt ?

I really miss my GT3.

audiovideodude
post #10 of 25 Old 04-19-2002, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Excellent! Glad to hear that works well! How do DVDs look out of your PS2 going through the ISCAN Pro? I'd potentially like to do the same with my XBox and am considering using it as my DVD player for simplicity to start with. My setup will be nearly entirely for gaming and DVD.

Can't wait to see pics.

Each moment only once.
post #11 of 25 Old 04-19-2002, 03:57 PM
BSN

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looks like Li-On has another potential pet project to toy with. :)

Joel
post #12 of 25 Old 04-19-2002, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Li On
as i know, it won´t work, the VGA Input will not be designed for component input; bit I will test it next week and post the results

hb
post #13 of 25 Old 04-21-2002, 12:54 PM

Guys I've been contemplating whether to buy an iScan Pro for months now, I've heard it has serious bugs when using it for games so I have backed off for now. Here is a webpage showing the bugs:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...dvdoiscan.html

It was done with a pre-production unit, but a friend on another board tells me that the iScan Pro has the same problems. Can anyone confirm this for me? As for games supporting Progressive Output, only 1 game I know can do this right now, Tekken 4. Friends at another board have taken the gamecube and taken the signal from it before it reaches the DAC and made a RGB out cable, though I don't know if this is possible to do with PS2.
post #14 of 25 Old 04-21-2002, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Phire
Guys I've been contemplating whether to buy an iScan Pro for months now, I've heard it has serious bugs when using it for games so I have backed off for now. Here is a webpage showing the bugs:

Yeah, I saw that a couple days ago too. Keep in mind that it was of a prepro iScan PLUS, not a Pro. The Pro actually uses a later chip -- Sil503 vs. Sil502. And in the "comments from DVDO" section, they said that they were aware of the problem and were going to "take a closer look at it".

On the other hand, if your friend says the Pro does it too, that's hard to argue with.

Quote:
Originally posted by Phire
Friends at another board have taken the gamecube and taken the signal from it before it reaches the DAC and made a RGB out cable, though I don't know if this is possible to do with PS2.
I'm a bit skeptical -- not of it being possible, but of the benefits it provides. A cleaner signal, sure. A solution to the deinterlacing problem, only if the GameCube was over-engineered.

This is because most modern game consoles run at 60 frames per second, but NTSC only runs at 60 fields per second. So what's actually being rendered are 60 640x240 screens per second. Unless the console and (perhaps) the game are designed to run at 640x480x60 frames/sec, you're not going to have enough information to get a solid progressive output. Hence the need for a good deinterlacer.

The PS2 CAN do 480 progressive (look at the adapter that comes with the Linux kit), but no games support this yet, and I don't know if it's feasible for the PS2 to get good framerates at 480p.

I think I'm probably going to skip the iScan and build a cheap HTPC to run dScaler. It'll probably end up costing about the same, but will be a lot more effort.

Alex
post #15 of 25 Old 04-21-2002, 06:01 PM

One of the latest games does support progressive output, Tekken 4, but this is the only one I know of. I'm trying to confirm whether the Pro still has the problems stated in that review, so far only one person has told me that it has problems, so I'm not 100% sure yet. I would appreciate it if someone that already has this setup can tell me if it does exhibit problems. The problem with HTPC's are that you have to pass through the signal way too many times to get decent interlacing, it wouldn't be worth it. You have to use a low quality TV-IN card (Unless you wanna spend big bucks on a card that has a C-Cube chip with Component In) it has to pass through a S-Video cable, then into the decoder chip, then once it's in your PC its upconverted to RGB then it gets converted again for output, then it goes to the chip again and then into your output cable, then into the TV. HTPCs are worth it for DVDs and Satellite cause they make Sattelite decoder cards and DVI DVD adapters which exhibit no quality loss in the transfer.
post #16 of 25 Old 05-03-2002, 01:17 AM

PS2 > iScan > AE100

This is exactly the setup i was considering and i'm glad to hear it works well. So, QUESTIONS:

1) Where can I get this iScan, JapanImport perhaps?

2) how does the AE100 support standard digital TV via satellite?

3) I am going to complete the sound side of system with the integrated speaker/amp/receiver system by Sony, details on link below:

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/6...v-system.html.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
HLS
post #17 of 25 Old 05-03-2002, 01:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting. I saved myself all that trouble and bought an Xbox. :D Just kidding, I don't want to start a console pissing contest. I know the PS2 has been out for a while and everybody's got piles of money sunk into games.

And then...
post #18 of 25 Old 05-03-2002, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've decided to relegate the PS2 for Tube viewing also.

I'm going to get the Xbox&Gamecube for proper 480P output. THat combined with a component->RGB transcoder will result in the best PQ. I can buy Gamecube&Xbox for half the money of an iScan Pro.

Many of the good PS2 games are now coming out on Gamecube&Xbox (XG3, SSX tricky, ...).

- JP in TOronto
post #19 of 25 Old 05-03-2002, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

I'd be very interested to see/hear about the PS2 over DScaler (although I am interested to a lesser degree about the success folks seem to be having with PS2 to iScan combos).

I'm currently running a Dreamcast and a GameCube through DScaler, and I'm very, very happy with the results. The Dreamcast compares favorably to using the straight VGA out from it, even; not quite as sharp with slightly less vibrant color, but DScaler does better on some games like Jet Set Radio and old school Capcom fighters and since its Svideo, I don't have problems with games that will not output to VGA regardless of trickery, like Bangaioh, and I don't have all the extra clutter and expense of a switch and cables. The GameCube looks fantastic, and I have compared it directly A/B with its digital component out through a Key Digital transcoder (since it outputs analog and digital video at the same time; it was just a matter of flicking my VGA switch). The component/transcoder combo produced slightly sharper image, but was horribly washed out, and even completely screwing up my standard settings trying to accomodate the problem didn't come close to matching the great color I get from DScaler. Also, using DScaler as the interface give much more tweaking and controlling ability. In the end result, its the best bang for the buck (of which I generally have few), though I'm sure not the best. In this area, you can always through more money at the problem, right?

Anyway, I've got both of those running on one cable that has output connectors for DC, GC/N64 and PS1/2, so the PS2 would be the last thing I could hook up all at once if I wanted to. PS2 is definitely not my first choice for a console, but there are a select handful of old and new PS games that I would like to play, and since I use the SVideo out of my Hollywood+ card to do DVD through DScaler, too, and I find the PS2's DVD to be adequate, that would remove one more component from my chain of switches and whatnot. That could be a very happy thing, too (I have a limited space to go along with the limited bucks =-p).

So, I'd love to see shots of what you folks have running or read impressions of the various methods you've tried.

Kensai
post #20 of 25 Old 05-03-2002, 11:35 AM
emo

JP, have you tried your XBOX without the transcoder? I borrowed a friends last night and hooked it up with the HDTV pack and component cables to my AE-100 and wasnt' too impressed - lots of jaggies and generally reminded me of playing Sega on a 34" or bigger TV. Does the transcoder help out with that? I posted some pics but they really came out bad so I'll try again this weekend and will post the link then.

I'm considering the IScan option as well since I want to do ExpressVu (dish - non HDTV) and with its multiple inputs hopefully I could pull something off.

Keep it coming guys - this info is great.
post #21 of 25 Old 05-03-2002, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

emo,

which games did you play? PGR showed lots of jaggies, but Halo and RSC was excellent...approaching quake3 on a computer. Very nice and smooth. This was on a 50" Toshiba HDTV.
post #22 of 25 Old 05-03-2002, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emo
JP, have you tried your XBOX without the transcoder? I borrowed a friends last night and hooked it up with the HDTV pack and component cables to my AE-100 and wasnt' too impressed - lots of jaggies and generally reminded me of playing Sega on a 34" or bigger TV. Does the transcoder help out with that? I posted some pics but they really came out bad so I'll try again this weekend and will post the link then.

I'm considering the IScan option as well since I want to do ExpressVu (dish - non HDTV) and with its multiple inputs hopefully I could pull something off.

Keep it coming guys - this info is great.
I don't have an Xbox. I have a dreamcast and PS2. I want the quality of the Dreamcast out of the PS2, but can't get it. Dreamcast is incredible via VGA, but miscellaneous via component. Source is everything with the AE100.

So I wanted to avoid further disappointment with GC&Xbox. BEFORE I bought them I wanted to find the best PQ possible. That's why I researched it before hand and settled with the AA transcoder. My testing the AA with the RP56 leads me to believe that it will look fantastic for other 480P sources like XBox&GC.

I wanted to use the best possible source (in this case progressive signal out of gamecube&Xbox) while feeding the AE100 with its optimum signal-- VGA. The transcoder accomplishes that.

The days are getting very long now, so I don't have the opportunity to view the AE100 much (I have to wait until darkness comes) so I probably won't be buying an Xbox/GC quite yet. Summer's coming and I don't want to veg inside unnecessarily. Besides, maybe a bigger game library will be available by fall.

- JP in TOronto
post #23 of 25 Old 05-03-2002, 11:06 PM
emo

Thanks for the info JP.

ZenerDiode: I did find that the different games did vary in quality - Halo and Max Payne were pretty disappointing to me but Munch's Oddysee wasnt too bad but certainly nothing thrilling. Of course you were talking about a 50" TV where as I'm talking 6' wide x 4' high (or so) so it's not quite the same comparison.

I'm going to keep my eye out for an IScan (for doing Dish) and then I'll try the XBox again.
post #24 of 25 Old 05-04-2002, 08:38 AM

Making some progress

So far I managed to place the PS2 near the video rack. My next project is to dig out the PS2 sVideo cable. God knows what that is hiding.

Life is busy...
post #25 of 25 Old 05-13-2002, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Update on that site link to hometheaterhifi.com. The article now states that the ISCAN units shipping no longer have the visual noise of the preproduction units. Here's a quote:

"A look back the prototype

Lets start by addressing some of the complaints I had about the pre-production unit. Video games, you love them and I love them, but last March, the iScan did not appear to love them as much. Shortly before the iScans started to ship, I received an email from Dale Adams, one of DVDOs founders that they had developed and additional algorithm to deal with single field sources like video games. I am here to say that they indeed deed do something because both my Dreamcast and N64 do not have produce the ugly effects that the original prototype did. Though, if you have a Dreamcast I would recommend their VGA adapter."

And the link:

Each moment only once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP