Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-11-2002, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,
I wrote earlier on a thread concerning problems with the Panasonic AE100 PJ, I had a problem with horizontal "ghost bands" crawling down the screen, looked a lot like interference from a TV signal or something.

Well, at first I was afraid it was the pj, I had just purchased it and was acutely aware of every single flaw I could find in the picture. I tried connecting it to a different breaker circuit etc, but that didn´t help. Then I thougt, maybe it´s the 50 foot low/mid-end S-video cable running from the receiver to the pj - perhaps it´s not shielded well enough, and is picking up some stray signal along the way... Borrowed a good Monster Cable s-video lead from a friend - no difference.

THEN I tried connecting the original cable directly into my DVD player. And presto: The picture was just as clean and crisp as I have any right to expect. It seems that there must be some signal loss / degradation in the A/V receiver (Pioneer VSX-859RDS). I also have it connected to a 32" Philips 16:9 tv and have not seen this artifact, but then I guess it´s just easier to spot at 100"...

Well, my current problem now is that I have to roam around the back of my A/V gear, should I want to watch Laserdisc or VHS on the big screen, which is pretty much what the receiver was supposed to help prevent... Can anyone here think of a way to "clean" up the signal from the receiver, so I can use that to distribute my video feed? Or am I doomed to using some kind of makeshift S-video switchbox?

Best regards,
Poul Nielsen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-11-2002, 07:32 AM

At first I thought it was the same issues I had

http://01900888.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=138000
post #3 of 7 Old 05-11-2002, 08:24 AM

Poul

I've had nothing but trouble using my receiver as a switch. I tried with my Onkio once and not only did i degrade picture quality but it also couldn't handle PAL signals.

What I do now is run a cable from every unit to the projector.

Component from the DVD
Composite from the VHS
Then i have a small box like this that I use to switch between my laser disk and PS2

When I get a hold of a digital cable box like the Selector, I'm gonna try and run RGB through the the VGA port on the projector.

I'm probably going to end up paying as much for cables as I would have for a stand alone switch, but I simply haven't found anything over here that works really well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-11-2002, 09:56 AM

I also noticed this degradation when running thru my Marantz 7200. I just hooked the dvd straight to the projector for a much better picture. In my case I only watch dvd's on the projector, so no multiple hook up issues.

When I run my other vcr thru my receiver, I get a flicker/jump in the picture with any sudden bright flash like with movie explosions.

Dan
post #5 of 7 Old 05-11-2002, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

How about using the multiple inputs of the AE100 by buying a cheap DVD player with component output. The picture will also improve.

- JP in TOronto
post #6 of 7 Old 05-11-2002, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Well,
So far I have only run the s-video cable to the pj. As it is hanging from the ceiling in the middle of the room, I have to run cables along the edge of the ceiling, then straight across the ceiling to the pj. I use a plastic adhesive "guide" (I don´t know what it´s called in English, in Danish it translates to something like Cable Tray) with room for a single cable. I don´t want to have to redo that, if I can help it. Perhaps some kind of switchbox is the solution after all.

Best regards,
Poul
post #7 of 7 Old 05-11-2002, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Old style mechanical switch boxes (the buttons CLICK when pressed and are heavy) usually have good bandwidth to pass through a signal relatively untouched. Receivers and "digital" switchers tend to be worse, but most people with normal TVs won't notice that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP