Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-12-2002, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
dxb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From my research, it would appear that the best value for about $2500 would be either a 75u or new hp sb21. Any other thoughts?
Screen size about 96 wide 4:3 - viewing distance 13ft. Controlled lighting, but desire to view with some ambient light (enough to barely read).

It would seem that brightness is about the same; contrast goes to the sb21. 'smoothness' also to the sb21. The higher res 75u screen door probably equates to the sb21 pixelation, and both need to scale for HDTV, although the extra bits on the 75u likely give it an edge.

Any comments?

Also, for DirectTV S-Video, what are the thoughts regarding need for an iScan?

db
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-12-2002, 08:55 PM

If you havn't seen a DLP projector do that first and determine if you're subject to headaches (as I was) or distracting rainbows. If you are you should probably rule out DLP. I recently got the 75U and I'm very happy with it so far. S-video looked suprisingly good during the brief test I gave it. Foir cheaper projectors the Pannys are known for having pretty good internal video proccesing. I can't speak for the HP as I havn't seen it. Good luck. Do what you can to view these for yourself though I know that can be tricky. -Noam

"From now on I don't want anyone to come in and see me while I'm here. Is that clear?"
-Major Major
post #3 of 10 Old 05-13-2002, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
dxb

I've seen the Sharp 9000 and Plus Piano - no rainbows - I like the smoothness of DLP, but I do find the near black dithering annoying. I find LCD to lack the smoothness of DLP - less film like, but like the color better. I've seen the 60HT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-13-2002, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you didn't see rainbows on the Piano then you probably wont see them on any other DLP.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-13-2002, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 536
"If you didn't see rainbows on the Piano then you probably wont see them on any other DLP"

Actually, the Piano has double the number of segments in its color wheel and is much less prone to rainbows than the typical business projector.

Noah
post #6 of 10 Old 05-13-2002, 01:25 PM

I watched the 9000 twice before getting my little LC75 U and I have no regrets. With a grey screen and some tweaking to boost contrast and darken blacks I am very happy and don't at all feel deprived that I don't own the Sharp. The filmlike smoothness and 16:9 ratio are both real differences. There is still a little screendoor if you look for it on the 75U but the overall PQ is so good that you'll get involved in the movie and forget about it if you sit a reasonable distance from the screen. At a quarter of the price I feel like I hit the jackpot. Since your DLP experiences have been pretty good, going that route should be a better option for you than it was for me. The 75U can stand some ambient light by the way, which the Sharp can not. Whatr are the brightness spec.s for the HP?

"From now on I don't want anyone to come in and see me while I'm here. Is that clear?"
-Major Major
post #7 of 10 Old 05-13-2002, 02:30 PM

dxb,

I agree with bonedog. I love my Panny 75u. I have seen rainbows on some DLPs so I had to go the LCD route. For the price/quality, I believe you can't beat it. Good luck.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-13-2002, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
dxb

My only screen option is pulldown(man or elec) and I can't budget a tensioned screen; any grey materials available in this context? (Can I make my own?)
post #9 of 10 Old 05-13-2002, 04:22 PM

Right now I'm using a lt. gray strech fabric from Joann's, suspended between two lengths of 1/2" electrical conduit and it looks prety darn good. it can be rolled up pretty easily. Blacks and contrast are better than on white screens I tried. The Da-lite HCCV is reasonably priced and according to Dave Bug made for a really good combo w/ the 75U. I may go that way if I find the samples improve my PQ. i don't know about making hyour own pull down. I'd be interested in that as well if you figure anyting out. Search the screen forum.

-Major Major
post #10 of 10 Old 05-13-2002, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the correction Noah,you're absolutely correct. 4X-6 segment.Guess I was having rainbow flashbacks of the Yamaha that I saw the same day.

Thanks,
Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP