Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-13-2002, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Call it evolution, call it natural progression - I guess it was inevitable and we are, to some degree, the authors of our own relegation to the "cheap seats".

This forum serves a number of purposes - a chance to disseminate HT information, an opportunity to vent about certain products or manufacturers, an opporunity to exploit for one's own personal interest and an opportunity for the owners to recoup their investment in this board and more. Problem is these things tend to take on a life of their own and from a financial perspective can get out of control.

I was in the thick of the LT150 mania and I have to admit it got a little crazy for awhile. The LT150 dominated this section of the forum too much and for too long! The AE100 is now doing the same thing and it is pushing out products that are actually worth selling - not necessarily better, but from a retailing point of view generate some profit, and let's face it, this forum wouldn't exist unless the owners can make a reasonable living from the HT business and get a return from the huge effort and cost of keeping this forum running.

The bigger this forum becomes the more "control" over its use and abuse will be necessary. It is now a great target to be exploited and it's amazing just how innovative people are when it comes to exploitation - this must drive Alan and David nuts. What do you do when the vehicle that is supposed to generate sales is actually working against you? That's an interesting dilemma.

I really can't argue against the discrimination that exists on this forum, I am just sad to see these changes take place. I guess bigger really isn't better, just different.

Over the next couple of years the changes in the industry will necessite much more radical changes here - I think the joy ride has just begun so fasten your seat belts and hold on.

When the Selecos, Marantzs, Dwins, Sharps and Runcos are all under $5,000.00 U.S. then things will change again - remember what PCs used to cost!

Cheers,

Grant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-13-2002, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Seleco's, Marantz, Dwin, Sharp and RUnco will ALWAYS be over $10k. And if you stay in the "other forum" you will never realize that they are all clones of $4000 units! :D

- JP in TOronto
post #3 of 7 Old 05-13-2002, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well said Grant....all thats needed for this to keep working is for cooler and reasonable heads to prevail. I love this forum...and I now enjoy my HT because of the invaluable information I gained here from people like you. If it were not for Alan and David creating and maintaining this forum...WHATEVER thier motivations...I would likely have postphoned making the HT committment for many more months and missed out on all the fun. So for me....I dont care WHAT Alan and David want to do with this forum or what sort of restrictions they place upon it...its FREE dammit and its THIERS. You dont have to come here if you dont want to. For myself I will just continue to enjoy it in whatever form it takes...I'll read what interests me and ignore the rest. Damn...that almost sounds like we live in a FREE COUNTRY or something!

KO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-13-2002, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Grant,

Thanks for the initial invitation to the "cheap seats". Without information that was posted, I'd probably still have a very large RPTV in the front of the room, taking it over visually and destroying my front soundstage.

Instead I have a largely open view, while still maintaining a certain coziness.

Is the picture as good as the "best seats in the house"? Well, I brought my own seat cushion and a pair o' binoculars, so it's pretty danged close :)

Regards,

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-13-2002, 04:47 PM
apg
Advanced Member

"The people in the cheaper seats, clap your hands ... and the rest of you, if you'd just rattle your jewelry."- J. Lennon

It's spooky to think that he could be commenting on the HT audience...
post #6 of 7 Old 05-13-2002, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Guys, lets try to keep this discussion into one or two threads. :)

Personally, I like bargin seats and matinees...and we're taking some hits for being nothing but compaint threads since the split...sooo...

Regards,

Nigel

PS As much a Runco basher as I am...the new Vx1000C isn't a clone. A pretty nifty box...though I gotta admit I keep thinking "dang, it's about time".
post #7 of 7 Old 05-13-2002, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hi All...

As mentioned in the large thread in the other forum, it is time to get back to our regularly scheduled program. We will close this this thread, and others like it, within the next few hours.

Thanks

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP