View Poll Results: Has your Epson 5040/6040 experienced failure of the Power Suply
Yes, my power supply failed 55 47.83%
No, my power supply has not failed 60 52.17%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #1 of 183 Old 02-12-2018, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7662 Post(s)
Liked: 6835
Epson 5040/6040/9300 (UK) Power Supply Failure Rate

This poll is an attempt to find out what percentage of Epson 5040/6040 projectors have experienced the power supply failure extensively reported in the relevant unit thread.

Is *every* buyer of these PJs experiencing failure of the power supply? Or is just a small percentage? Or even a large percentage? It is useful to know since if it is, say, 10%, then 90% of us will be OK and probably won't experience the problem. 10% is still not acceptable of course, but it is difficult to tell in the main thread just how many owners are having problems.

Thanks for completing the poll.

If you wish, it would be useful to indicate in a post in this thread how old the PJ was when the failure occurred, the purchase date and/or how many hours the lamp had on it.

Last edited by kbarnes701; 02-13-2018 at 04:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 183 Old 02-12-2018, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dear all,

I'm the owner of a former demo TW9300 (European model).
It has around 450hours on the lamp.
So far no power failure but I have experienced a green dot visible only on black/gray backgrounds (maybe a stuck pixel ?!? ) and the high fan on startup thing. That happened Yesterday
I have already contacted Epson and will return the unit pretty soon to have the green pixel fixed.
post #3 of 183 Old 02-12-2018, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 87
This is exactly what I was thinking about, Kbarnes701, a poll to get a better idea of lamp percentage failures. I purchased my Epson 6040 in March 2017. Didn't realize I've had this projector for almost a year, I hope I didn't jinx myself ...

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited by Azekecse; 02-12-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 183 Old 02-12-2018, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 6
6040 bought in August 2017. Approx 40 hours on it when it failed the week before Thanksgiving. I had no warnings or indications prior to it failing. Our replacement has around the same hours on it. To me, the replacement looks better on the screen and the remote seems much more responsive.
post #5 of 183 Old 02-12-2018, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

If you wish, it might be useful to indicate in a post in this thread how old the PJ was when the failure occurred and/or how many hours the lamp had on it.
A purchase month and year would be great. That way we can see if there is a pattern.
I don't think the number of hours has any bearing, but I may be wrong.
old corps likes this.
post #6 of 183 Old 02-12-2018, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quick question,

what if I answer no now, and tomorrow my projector failed. If I answer yes tomorrow, the no become a false answer and will squeeze the result toward the no answer.

I believe the poll would need an update button or something like that allows user to change their answer from no to yes. Unless it is a basic feature of the polling on this site.

Just my 2 cts
old corps likes this.
post #7 of 183 Old 02-12-2018, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 119
This is a great idea but I wish it could have a way to indicate hours & length of ownership.
I indicated no power failure but I've only had it about 6 weeks and it has 200 hours on it. Most of the posts (all?) with the failure happen after the pj has been fine for a significant period of time--a number months at least.
Also, mine just started doing the high fan at start up. Something it never did before.

Ed
post #8 of 183 Old 02-13-2018, 01:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 291
I had one go out after 125 hours

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RF7II Fronts & Wides RC64II Center RB61II Heights & Surround back RF7II surrounds 2X Elemental design 15" subs Denon X7200WA 2X Emotiva XPA-5 epson 5040ub & 158" screen panny UD900 Full GIK treatments
post #9 of 183 Old 02-13-2018, 02:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
My died after about 6 mths, on my 6th replacement due to issues with the previous ones.

Regarding my experience with replacements, original post below.

http://01900888.com/forum/68-dig...l#post55628830

Last edited by jnabq; 02-13-2018 at 07:56 PM. Reason: add info
post #10 of 183 Old 02-13-2018, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
A purchase month and year would be great. That way we can see if there is a pattern.
I don't think the number of hours has any bearing, but I may be wrong.
Good idea. I'll add that to the first post.
post #11 of 183 Old 02-13-2018, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
This is a great idea but I wish it could have a way to indicate hours & length of ownership.
You're right Ed. Unfortunately the built-in poll doesn't allow for anything other than a tick or no tick option. I could create a proper survey elsewhere and link to it but how many would use it isn't clear. This AVS poll might give is some sort of idea how prevalent the failures are but, unfortunately, not when they are occurring.
post #12 of 183 Old 02-13-2018, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

post #13 of 183 Old 02-13-2018, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrb1 View Post
Quick question,

what if I answer no now, and tomorrow my projector failed. If I answer yes tomorrow, the no become a false answer and will squeeze the result toward the no answer.

I believe the poll would need an update button or something like that allows user to change their answer from no to yes. Unless it is a basic feature of the polling on this site.

Just my 2 cts
Very good point. Unfortunately the poll format on AVS doesn't allow for that. All it will do is give us a snapshot. I'll leave it up for now - ideally I;d like to see about 100 as a sample size. Currently the 'non-failures' are overwhelmingly in the lead at 14:3 but the sample size is far too small to give reliable indications.
post #14 of 183 Old 02-13-2018, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post
My died after about 6 mths, on my 6th replacement due to issues with the previous ones.

Thanks everyone who responds, but can people try to be a little more specific and less ambiguous to make this effort more useful. What were the "issues" with your five other replacement units? I had also suggested elsewhere that it would be useful if people state what Epson did in response, whether they received a "refurbished" unit(s) as replacement, how long they have had the replacement unit and whether the replacement has been operating without issue. Thanks!!
old corps and kbarnes701 like this.
post #15 of 183 Old 02-13-2018, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 160
The poll is a good idea. Thanks for making it. I do think the sample may be biased, however, in that people who have had issues may be more likely to take the poll at all, especially given the name of the poll. We can already see that almost all the posts so far are from people who have had issues. So I think the results are likely to overstate the frequency of the problem by a pretty large amount.

If someone were to go through all the Amazon reviews and take the % of people reporting a given issue, that may be more representative of what's happening in the market. That data source doesn't have the same kind of bias that this poll will likely have. At a minimum, the Amazon check would be a good sanity check of these results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #16 of 183 Old 02-13-2018, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Epson 5040UB

Purchased:

February 1st, 2018

Current lamp use:

~ 60 hours

Going strong. No problems to report.

I know it's early but I thought I would reserve a spot and update this if something happens.
post #17 of 183 Old 02-13-2018, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Bought mine in October of 2016. Have had no problems with it.
post #18 of 183 Old 02-13-2018, 12:54 PM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 100
6040 purchased 11/2016. 3,000 hours, no issues. Still on bulb #1
post #19 of 183 Old 02-13-2018, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhn View Post
The poll is a good idea. Thanks for making it. I do think the sample may be biased, however, in that people who have had issues may be more likely to take the poll at all, especially given the name of the poll. We can already see that almost all the posts so far are from people who have had issues. So I think the results are likely to overstate the frequency of the problem by a pretty large amount.

If someone were to go through all the Amazon reviews and take the % of people reporting a given issue, that may be more representative of what's happening in the market. That data source doesn't have the same kind of bias that this poll will likely have. At a minimum, the Amazon check would be a good sanity check of these results.

Good points. However, so far the vote is 7:1 for people who have had no faults at all. But yes, a danger of any polls of this nature is that they can be self selecting.

Good idea about Amazon.
post #20 of 183 Old 02-13-2018, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Looked at Amazon. The result is that there are are a small number of people reporting failure of the power supply and a very large number of people who are having no problems at all.

81% give the unit a 5 or 4 star rating, with the remaining 19% making up the 3, 2 and 1 star. Unsurprisingly the majority of the 15 1 star reviewers mention power supply failures. In the 2 star category, a few mention it. And in the 3 star category most of the negative comments are about HDR issues or other (non power supply) issues.

So, based on 164 owners, the overwhelming majority are not reporting any negative issues, with a small (about 15%) percentage being unhappy for various reasons, including power supply issues.

The conclusion seems to be that while power supply failures are definitely an issue with this unit, they are very much in the minority (as with our own poll so far, albeit with small sample size). So the odds are that if you do buy this unit, or do own one, you will be OK, but there is a defined risk that you may not be. How we view that is, of course, open to question...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5040_on_amazon.png
Views:	34
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	2360672  
post #21 of 183 Old 02-13-2018, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Epson 5040/6040/9300 (UK) Power Supply Failure Rate

Quote:
Looked at Amazon. The result is that there are are a small number of people reporting failure of the power supply and a very large number of people who are having no problems at all.

81% give the unit a 5 or 4 star rating, with the remaining 19% making up the 3, 2 and 1 star. Unsurprisingly the majority of the 15 1 star reviewers mention power supply failures. In the 2 star category, a few mention it. And in the 3 star category most of the negative comments are about HDR issues or other (non power supply) issues.

So, based on 164 owners, the overwhelming majority are not reporting any negative issues, with a small (about 15%) percentage being unhappy for various reasons, including power supply issues.

The conclusion seems to be that while power supply failures are definitely an issue with this unit, they are very much in the minority (as with our own poll so far, albeit with small sample size). So the odds are that if you do buy this unit, or do own one, you will be OK, but there is a defined risk that you may not be. How we view that is, of course, open to question...

Nice. Did you happen to get a total count of the people reporting power supply issues? Just curious. If its the full 9% of the 1 star reviews that seems pretty high. If it's closer to half then it's more like 5% - still not great but more in line with what one might expect.

Edit - took a quick scan and it appears that almost all of the 1 stars are power supplies and some posters had 2 or 3 failures. So that would put it at
9%-10%. Some studies suggest that people are 2-3 times more likely to give bad reviews than good reviews (but other studies suggest its a lower ratio). So depending on what you believe about that the failure rate might be closer to 3%-5%.

Last edited by jwhn; 02-13-2018 at 09:13 PM.
post #22 of 183 Old 02-13-2018, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 671
My 6040, purchased Nov,2016. I have bit less use (mostly weekends). 300 Hrs. Fingers crossed.

Something to add. I keep the PJ totally shut (hard power off) when not in use. I don't know if that has any bearing.
I do that with all my HT equipment. No standby. Just OFF.
post #23 of 183 Old 02-14-2018, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhn View Post
Nice. Did you happen to get a total count of the people reporting power supply issues? Just curious. If its the full 9% of the 1 star reviews that seems pretty high. If it's closer to half then it's more like 5% - still not great but more in line with what one might expect.

Edit - took a quick scan and it appears that almost all of the 1 stars are power supplies and some posters had 2 or 3 failures. So that would put it at
9%-10%. Some studies suggest that people are 2-3 times more likely to give bad reviews than good reviews (but other studies suggest its a lower ratio). So depending on what you believe about that the failure rate might be closer to 3%-5%.

10 out of 24 in the 1 star and 2 star category reported power supply failures. So that is, let's call it a dozen because some people were a bit vague about why they returned the unit), a dozen out of 164 in total. 12 is about 7% of 164, so in this entirely unscientific appraisal we have a failure rate of 7%.

I agree that people are more likely to report problems than to give praise, but it is a complex thing in itself and here, the result is so overwhelmingly on the positive side with 93% being happy with their unit, that it seems reasonable to conclude that it is by no means the 'majority' of units which are afflicted with power supply problems. Indeed, although any sort of failure rate cannot be condoned in an expensive component, a failure rate of 7-10% at least puts the odds firmly on the side of not having a problem.

None of this is, of course, any consolation to those who have experienced failures (me included) but no matter what we buy, some will fail for one reason or another. The Onkyo HDMI board failure comes to mind. At the time I had the Onkyo flagship processor and I was one of the lucky ones who had no problems at all. Seems that karma is alive and well and now it's my turn

I think that with complicated electronic gear, some failures will always present themselves. So what is perhaps more important than (unrealistically?) hoping for perfection is how the manufacturer handles the problem. In this case Epson seem to be quick off the mark in replacing faulty units, but some people are (rightly?) not happy with a refurbished unit. However, simply sending out another brand new unit can cause the problem to repeat if the recipient in unlucky enough to get another unit with the fault inside it. In this sense, Epson can't win. If they send a refurb people complain, and if they send a new unit which then goes wrong a second time, people complain. The answer is probably to send the unit in for a warranty repair, but I don't know if Epson are offering this as an option. There is also a question as to what the turnaround time will be. Onkyo acquitted themselves well over the HDMI board failure by repairing faulty units FOC even when they were well outside the warranty period. Of course, it would have been better if the units hadn't failed, but Onkyo offered a good response IMO.
gene4ht and old corps like this.
post #24 of 183 Old 02-14-2018, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked: 2256
Quote:
10 out of 24 in the 1 star and 2 star category reported power supply failures. So that is, let's call it a dozen because some people were a bit vague about why they returned the unit), a dozen out of 164 in total. 12 is about 7% of 164, so in this entirely unscientific appraisal we have a failure rate of 7%.

I agree that people are more likely to report problems than to give praise, but it is a complex thing in itself and here, the result is so overwhelmingly on the positive side with 93% being happy with their unit, that it seems reasonable to conclude that it is by no means the 'majority' of units which are afflicted with power supply problems. Indeed, although any sort of failure rate cannot be condoned in an expensive component, a failure rate of 7-10% at least puts the odds firmly on the side of not having a problem.

None of this is, of course, any consolation to those who have experienced failures (me included) but no matter what we buy, some will fail for one reason or another. The Onkyo HDMI board failure comes to mind. At the time I had the Onkyo flagship processor and I was one of the lucky ones who had no problems at all. Seems that karma is alive and well and now it's my turn

I think that with complicated electronic gear, some failures will always present themselves. So what is perhaps more important than (unrealistically?) hoping for perfection is how the manufacturer handles the problem. In this case Epson seem to be quick off the mark in replacing faulty units, but some people are (rightly?) not happy with a refurbished unit. However, simply sending out another brand new unit can cause the problem to repeat if the recipient in unlucky enough to get another unit with the fault inside it. In this sense, Epson can't win. If they send a refurb people complain, and if they send a new unit which then goes wrong a second time, people complain. The answer is probably to send the unit in for a warranty repair, but I don't know if Epson are offering this as an option. There is also a question as to what the turnaround time will be. Onkyo acquitted themselves well over the HDMI board failure by repairing faulty units FOC even when they were well outside the warranty period. Of course, it would have been better if the units hadn't failed, but Onkyo offered a good response IMO.
I'm in total agreement with your comments. Regardless of the sample size of this poll or numbers derived from Amazon or other customer review mechanisms, we should be confident that the power supply failure rate is "relatively" low at this point in time. Even so, it's human nature to be uncomfortable not knowing...if this will change...or possibly become an event waiting to happen. As you suggest, at least some level of comfort is afforded by Epson's immediate response for remedy. And like yourself, I too have been a long time Onkyo owner...5 pieces in 18 years without a hiccup and regard their recent extended warranty program to be a leading business model for other manufacturers.

Just had a thought! In today's age of transparency, wouldn't it be groundbreaking if Epson would publicly publish/divulge failure rates, reason(s) for failure, and specify exact remedy? But not likely to happen in a competitive marketplace...but maybe someday someone will take a leadership position and change the paradigm. The recall in the auto industry is seemingly headed in this direction. And this would certainly improve the consumer's comfort level in these situations.

Another amusing thought! Perhaps someday, a government or consumer protection agency will mandate that all manufactures must publish and of course oversee such data. It would then be interesting to see how marketing strategy and techniques change,.

But I'm rambling and getting OT. Good luck everyone!

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #25 of 183 Old 02-14-2018, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
I'm in total agreement with your comments. Regardless of the sample size of this poll or numbers derived from Amazon or other customer review mechanisms, we should be confident that the power supply failure rate is "relatively" low at this point in time. Even so, it's human nature to be uncomfortable not knowing...if this will change...or possibly become an event waiting to happen.
Exactly so. I am now on tenterhooks with my replacement, wondering every time I go into the HT if the unit will still be working. It's not a good feeling and it will take many months before I have some confidence in the unit. Chances are, if it's going to fail, it will fail the week after I've had it calibrated (again). Still, it seems the odds are with us for a good outcome.

Quote:
As you suggest, at least some level of comfort is afforded by Epson's immediate response for remedy. And like yourself, I too have been a long time Onkyo owner...5 pieces in 18 years without a hiccup and regard their recent extended warranty program to be a leading business model for other manufacturers.
Again, agreed.

Quote:
Just had a thought! In today's age of transparency, wouldn't it be groundbreaking if Epson would publicly publish/divulge failure rates, reason(s) for failure, and specify exact remedy? But not likely to happen in a competitive marketplace...but maybe someday someone will take a leadership position and change the paradigm. The recall in the auto industry is seemingly headed in this direction. And this would certainly improve the consumer's comfort level in these situations.
Yes, I agree (yet again) with you. Although, like you, I won't be holding my breath any

Quote:
Another amusing thought! Perhaps someday, a government or consumer protection agency will mandate that all manufactures must publish and of course oversee such data. It would then be interesting to see how marketing strategy and techniques change,.

But I'm rambling and getting OT. Good luck everyone!
Yes, good luck to everyone. And let us not forget the absolutely stellar performance of this PJ when all is working as it should.
gene4ht likes this.
post #26 of 183 Old 02-14-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And let us not forget the absolutely stellar performance of this PJ when all is working as it should.
+1

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #27 of 183 Old 02-17-2018, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Im wondering what you are seeing when it comes to the failure. I just started a thread about my potential failure, was unaware of this thread...This is what Im seeing:

Well came down tonight to watch a movie and for some reason Im unable to turn the projector on. I checked the power coming from my surge protector but everything is good there. I grabbed my multimeter to make sure I was getting power on the other end of the power cord, all good there. I have tried with both the remote and on the projector...This is my 2nd 5040 with less than 14 hours between the 2 units. Has anyone had this issue? Any tips on this issue?
Now my status light and power light are flashing blue...I cannot find anything about this type of flashing indicator in any searches

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
post #28 of 183 Old 02-17-2018, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96p993 View Post
Im wondering what you are seeing when it comes to the failure. I just started a thread about my potential failure, was unaware of this thread...This is what Im seeing:

Well came down tonight to watch a movie and for some reason Im unable to turn the projector on. I checked the power coming from my surge protector but everything is good there. I grabbed my multimeter to make sure I was getting power on the other end of the power cord, all good there. I have tried with both the remote and on the projector...This is my 2nd 5040 with less than 14 hours between the 2 units. Has anyone had this issue? Any tips on this issue?
Now my status light and power light are flashing blue...I cannot find anything about this type of flashing indicator in any searches

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
I've just posted this in the 5040/6040 owner's thread...

http://01900888.com/forum/68-dig...l#post55712458

post #29 of 183 Old 02-18-2018, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Brand new unit purchased Jan 5 2018 11hours on bulb, i had the projector running & step into the next room only to come back 2 mins later the PJ power itself off. Last Tuesday notice the same issue when i was setting up my Zappiti player it just power off for no reason & when i turned it on it went into high fan for 30sec. I unplugged power cable for 30mins & tried it again it ran for 2 hours then it shutoff by itself again. I have contacted Epson & they told me it's more then likely power supply issue. So I'm shipping my unit back to be fixed & returned because i don't want a refurbish unit.

JVC RS540 Projector PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
post #30 of 183 Old 02-18-2018, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
This poll is an attempt to find out what percentage of Epson 5040/6040 projectors have experienced the power supply failure extensively reported in the relevant unit thread.

Is *every* buyer of these PJs experiencing failure of the power supply? Or is just a small percentage? Or even a large percentage? It is useful to know since if it is, say, 10%, then 90% of us will be OK and probably won't experience the pronblem. 10% is still not acceptable of course, but it is difficult to tell in the main thread just how many owners are having problems.

Thanks for completing the poll.

If you wish, it would be useful to indicate in a post in this thread how old the PJ was when the failure occurred, the purchase date and/or how many hours the lamp had on it.
Look at the latest complaints of Epson 5040UB projectors not powering up in this thread and in the official Epson thread. Still think I'm exaggerating?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP