Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #1 of 311 Old 07-13-2018, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Official XGIMI Lune thread and review (No Price Talk)

XGIMI is a projector company from Chengdu, China founded in 2012. Since then they've built LED projectors including the successful H1 that raised over a million dollars on Indiegogo. Their projectors range from the tiny battery operated CC to the 79999rmb ($12000 USD) T1 4K model.

They've now released their 4th ultra short throw model for the Chinese market called "Lune", which has been generating quite a buzz recently from XGIMI's recent press conference that also revealed the H2 (successor to the H1/H1S).

The Lune retails for 10999RMB, or 1644.54 USD. If this goes international then the prices would probably be closer to $2000. This is still a bargain compared to some of the other competing UST projectors on the market.

This review will discuss the following:

1. XGIMI's information about the Lune

2. Packaging/Exterior

3. Remote control / Built-in Android system

4. Functions and features

5. Video/Imaging/HDR/Audio/Speakers

6. Compared to the Optoma LC2 laser projector

7. Input lag/Power usage/Others

8. Conclusion

Last edited by rocklee; 08-11-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 311 Old 07-13-2018, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

mattbhm likes this.

Last edited by rocklee; 07-14-2018 at 03:29 PM.
post #3 of 311 Old 07-13-2018, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Packaging/Exterior.

The Lune is delivered in a slim outer box and the main box inside, with the packaging form inside to protect and hold the projector in place.

The overall presentation is less glamorous than before, but XGIMI still pays a little more attention than most companies and more importantly the safety of their projectors during delivery. In China, I’ve seen people throw packages down the stairs at a Chinese post office. Which is why I’m hand carrying the Lune. It’s about 10kg and fits perfectly into my suitcase with the packaging form. You could of course use more expensive delivery services from EMS, DHL or FedEx.

The Lune is an interesting departure from XGIMI’s usual designs. The H1/H1S/H2 all use metal casing while their A1/T1 models use metal and wood. The Lune is largely plastic wrapped around Harman/Kardon speakers with the laser glass at the top. It’s a simple flat+grilled design that looks like something that would fit in an IKEA lounge room.

There are plenty of cooling vents on both sides and at the back of the Lune. The fans draw cool air from the back and exhaust them out to the sides. Operating temperatures have been around 41-45 degrees Celsius after a few hours of usage.

I was initially worried about the size and weight of the Lune compared to the H1 which is a bundle of portable joy, but the size definitely seems to help ventilate the projector more effectively with room to spare to store a few more speakers. Most certainly, a metal or even a wooden casing would put this projector at 15kg or more since XGIMI’s A series are well over 20kgs. This isn’t a projector that needs to be moved all over the place. It’s an UST, which offers plenty of advantages over traditional projectors other than just “convenience”. I’ll get to that later :- )

The lens cover is apparently “glass”. I was told not to use a cloth to clean it but a cold air hair dryer, while another person said that it was okay to clean the glass cover lightly (it got dusty after just a few hours so you can imagine how dusty my area is!). Either way, I'll just use the hair dryer to be safe.

The Lune did not come with a soft cover or bag, so you’ll probably want to use your own soft cover or find a glass top cabinet to keep it away from dust.

There will be things that I would have missed. The Lune also has height adjustments for uneven surfaces which might be useful for some:

Last edited by rocklee; 07-14-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 311 Old 07-13-2018, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

3. Remote control / GMUI 3.1 - Built-in Android system

For those who have not experienced a smart projector before, you'll be surprised to find how uncomplicated their remotes. In fact, while traditional remotes resemble keyboards, these ones however resembles the functionalities and ease of use of the mouse.

The remote control went through a few changes from the XGIMI H1. This time it’s made of plastic and runs on 2 AAA sized batteries. This was disappointing to me as I like the premium feel of the H1’s metal remote, which I quickly became a fan of. The H1S/H2 also use the same plastic remote design, so it looks like XGIMI will probably do this for all their future consumer level projectors.

This new design isn't flat as you can see in the comparison picture with the H1 remote, so it will wobble when placed onto a table. However it does feel better to grip in the hand. Went to get a second opinion about these remotes and we both agree that the H1 felt nicer to touch, but the Lune’s remote felt more comfortable to hold. I believe XGIMI also sells a ceramic version for the A1/T1 models though this seems to be a a limited item as I'm unable to find it on the Chinese market.

The buttons are exactly the same as the H1, except that the BACK button is now on the left. If you've ever used a mouse as a right hander then you'll probably be more used to having the back button on the right, however I can see how this being on the left can feel more natural to some. It's not a big issue, personally I like it on the left. They have excellent response and feedback. Nothing feels loose, mushy or rubbery like traditional remotes do.

There are only 12 buttons, but this is not a dumb-down-Apple-style remote with simple functions. It’s an intuitive and smart bluetooth controller with clever menu buttons and a built-in microphone that allows you to control not just the Lune, but also other devices in your room if they’re connected via WIFI or bluetooth.

Backlighting is completely unnecessary for a remote this intuitive. You can memorise the buttons in less than 2 minutes, which makes it easy to use for everyone - ladies, kids and old folks. People who don't want to deal with navigating through so many options will feel at home with this remote.

XGIMI also decided to go with removable AAA batteries instead of lithium ones, and I think it’s a good move. Removable batteries are easier to deal with and replace. Some H1 owners have had issues with the older remote due to the built-in batteries which XGIMI quickly replaced, though in over a year I've not had that issue.

Both remotes feature microphones which is clearly unlike any remote you've probably seen. You press the button and speak into it like you would with SIRI or an Alexa, and the system will try to meet your requests. I've tested this with commands like finding out the weather, time and even locating a song on the internet. It's really quite a groovy piece of technology!

I’ve tested the Bluetooth remote from another room and inside the blanket without a line of sight and it worked without problems. The advantages of bluetooth connectivity is that you can use another Bluetooth controller like a master remote, mouse, gamepad or controller. I can even switch out my remotes so that I can continue to use my H1 remote on the Lune. Having used my H1's remote for over a year, I can't even remember what using an IR remote is, and personally I'm very happy to leave it behind

GMUI 3.1 (Media operating system based on Android 6.0)

I’ve played around with HTPCs and media players for years, some were okay though most were pretty bad. The last one I bought was from MINIX, and I haven't touched in over a year. The XGIMI’s Android based operating system combined with the MStar 6A938 (Cortex A72x2 + A53x2) and MALI T820 worked better than all of them. Despite being in a language that’s completely foreign to me, it’s still intuitive enough for me to understand and reach most settings.

The biggest changes from the H1 have been the main menu which now has numerous streaming channels ranging from documentaries to KTV to the 2018 world cup.

I’ve had no issues watching streaming videos in 4K though I needed to pay 39rmb a month for the privilege, or $5.82 USD :-D

Also like the H1, you can install Android apps on the Lune from Youtube to games, though this can be a somewhat complicated process because Google isn't wholly supported on these smart projectors due to licencing and all kinds of issues. Some people have managed to get Google to work by reworking the firmware, though this is completely at their own risks. I've dabbed in command line software hacks before, but that was 20 years ago, and I'd much rather not compromise my setup (at the root level) at the expense of a couple of apps, though I'm open to any reliable firmware for international users just as one has been developed for the XGIMI H1S model.

It is also possible to install apps (APK files) via USB, this was how I was able to install Youtube despite being banned in China. Currently, both youtube and smart youtube TV works fine on my Lune.

This is a very underrate section because of how extensive Android is and the number of apps available to users. I'll be listing some recommended apps for the Lune over time and hopefully some easy non-rooting solutions to get Google working.

XGIMI has informed me that they plan to update GMUI to include international languages, but there’s no projected date. For now, the system is easy to use once you become familiar with where everything is. XGIMI once again deserves a lot of credit for combining an Android based system with a projector that works. I don't know too many projectors that are capable of playing media right out of the box, and I’ll get to media playback and compatibility later.

Last edited by rocklee; 08-13-2018 at 05:26 PM.
post #5 of 311 Old 07-13-2018, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Reserved 3.
post #6 of 311 Old 07-13-2018, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

XGIMI Lune vs Optoma LC2/ZH400UST:

Many thanks to Mr. Han for loaning his theatre room and setting up the Optoma LC2 for this comparison. He didn't mind that I spent almost 5 hours of his time and that the end result didn't quite go in his favour He is also in fact an NEC/Optoma/Benq guy so we also spent a bit of time discussing projectors and TVs.

For now I'll just share some pictures and a bit of commentary, I'll add my feedback later.

You can pretty much work out which is which, the Optoma has a greenish/yellowish tint:

Last edited by rocklee; 08-09-2018 at 08:43 PM.
post #7 of 311 Old 07-13-2018, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Reserved 5.
post #8 of 311 Old 07-13-2018, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Input lag.

I learnt a lot from my previous review of the H1 when I made the mistake of using a poor quality cable and not switching the cable type from 1.4 to 2.0 in settings. Above all, I realised that measuring input lag as a smart projector while accepting additional data from another source that didn't need wifi, bluetooth or other post processing going on was going to affect the overall results.

So the best time I could get without turning bluetooth off was 15ms, which is pretty impressive for this kind of informal test. Of course, the skeptics would say, "but you didn't use a Leo Bodnar LagTester and therefore these test results aren't valid!" Actually, this test have been used by so many reviewers for many years. Yes, it isn't as thorough as the LB lag tester but even that isn't completely accurate either. The fact that none of these tests are close to even being representative of real world HDMI usage. We see full screen coloured videos, not one with a black background and a couple of text.

As I said on the other XGIMI H1 thread, the fuss over input lag isn't worth arguing over on. It was never an issue for anybody who bought a projector to watch movies. Gaming just happens to be another possibility, except projectors are simply not the best options based on the reasons I listed here. I can accept that for a short period of time and for non-fast paced games that gaming can be made acceptable, but certainly not for the highly active FPS games that requires 4K, ultrawide screens (sometimes multiple) and dedicated gaming monitors.

Power Usage.

For a UST projector that has nearly 10kg of computing power with 60w of audio speakers, you'd think that this thing would be some kind of a 400w monster. Surprisingly, it's not even close to that. Here are my results with the fan speed set to auto:

Room temperature : 27 degrees celsius

Powering on/IDLE (170kw):

Screen OFF/Sound OFF/wifi off/bluetooth ON(35kw):

Screen off/Movie ON/Sound ON/wifi ON/bluetooth ON(40kw):

Screen ON/Movie ON/Sound ON/WIFI ON/bluetooth ON(175kw):

Room temperature : 33 degrees celsius

Screen off/Movie ON/Sound ON/wifi ON/Bluetooth ON(39kw):

Screen ON/Movie ON/Sound ON/wifi ON/Bluetooth ON(250kw):

I suppose the differences in power usage (170kw vs 250kw) must have been because of the higher temperature that the Lune was running at, thus powering the fans at a higher level. I did not get to test the Lune's speakers at max volume (too loud!), though I assume that this will probably reach peak power (370kw) as stated in the specs.

The H1 (1080p LED smart projector) is far more economical when it comes to power usage, using just 14kw with the screen off, wifi on and playing music/movie. The Lune by comparison isn't bad at 39kw. With everything on, the H1 uses just 76kw compared to 250kw from the Lune. The Lune cannot compete with smaller portable projectors like the H1, but it is very competitive with similar projectors like the Xiaomi MI, Benq i950l, JMGO U1(4K) and of course the Optoma LC2.

Last edited by rocklee; 08-13-2018 at 05:37 PM.
post #9 of 311 Old 07-13-2018, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Reserved 7.
post #10 of 311 Old 07-13-2018, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Subscribed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rocklee likes this.
post #11 of 311 Old 07-13-2018, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Good job, rocklee! Thanks for the detailed review.

Sent from my OnePlus 6 using Tapatalk
rocklee likes this.
post #12 of 311 Old 07-14-2018, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Talking

Good job Rocklee

Been waiting for a Rocklee projector thread.
Whats the power consumption ? Or power draw on this projector ?
Thanks
rocklee likes this.

DIY beats store purchased.

Last edited by Russell Burrows; 07-14-2018 at 08:06 AM.
post #13 of 311 Old 07-14-2018, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post
Good job Rocklee

Been waiting for a Rocklee projector thread.
Whats the power consumption ? Or power draw on this projector ?
Thanks
No problem, still working on the review while doing so many other things :-)

The power consumption according to XGIMI is up to 370w which is probably peak when you have 60w of speakers in there, I don't have a power meter but I'll certainly test this when I get back to Japan.
post #14 of 311 Old 07-15-2018, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 72
posted this in the bbs.xgimi.cn so that they would/ might be pushed in releasing an International Firmware - hopefully!

nice table cloth
rocklee likes this.

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS Pico Handheld
Xbox One S, LG SH4

Last edited by wheelee; 07-15-2018 at 09:55 AM.
post #15 of 311 Old 07-17-2018, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 17
HDCP 2.2 issue

Hi, I tried play 4k UHD but Lune wont accept the 4k resolution, can only downscale it to 1080p. Apparently it is due to lack of HDCP 2.2 compliance. See screen shot.

In contrast, Lune can process 4k signal from the same bluray player if it a 1080 bluray disc and upscales it to 4k resolution.

Any suggestions, work around (HDMI splitter)? Or no point in getting 4k discs since Lune is naive 1080p only?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180716_225953_1531809422663.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	2429414   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180716_232428_1531809441353.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	2429416   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180716_232904_1531809462389.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	2429418  
post #16 of 311 Old 07-17-2018, 11:40 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumy View Post
HDCP 2.2 issue

Hi, I tried play 4k UHD but Lune wont accept the 4k resolution, can only downscale it to 1080p. Apparently it is due to lack of HDCP 2.2 compliance. See screen shot.

In contrast, Lune can process 4k signal from the same bluray player if it a 1080 bluray disc and upscales it to 4k resolution.

Any suggestions, work around (HDMI splitter)? Or no point in getting 4k discs since Lune is naive 1080p only?

Thanks
I haven't had any issue with HDCP 2.2 handshake with my Lune. I'm viewing Netflix using my Nvidia Shield TV to the Pioneer LX502 receiver to the Lune. I'm using a HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 compliant cable and switched it over to HDMI 2.0 via the Lune Options menu. I see 2160p at 60hz displayed next to the HDMI indicator on the Lune. I know it's downsampling from 4k to 1080p but it's able to support a 4k, HDR10 signal from the Shield TV.
rocklee likes this.
post #17 of 311 Old 07-17-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
HDCP 2.2 issue

Thanks
I haven't had any issue with HDCP 2.2 handshake with my Lune. I'm viewing Netflix using my Nvidia Shield TV to the Pioneer LX502 receiver to the Lune. I'm using a HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 compliant cable and switched it over to HDMI 2.0 via the Lune Options menu. I see 2160p at 60hz displayed next to the HDMI indicator on the Lune. I know it's downsampling from 4k to 1080p but it's able to support a 4k, HDR10 signal from the Shield TV.
post #18 of 311 Old 07-17-2018, 11:59 PM

[/quote]
I haven't had any issue with HDCP 2.2 handshake with my Lune. I'm viewing Netflix using my Nvidia Shield TV to the Pioneer LX502 receiver to the Lune. I'm using a HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 compliant cable and switched it over to HDMI 2.0 via the Lune Options menu. I see 2160p at 60hz displayed next to the HDMI indicator on the Lune. I know it's downsampling from 4k to 1080p but it's able to support a 4k, HDR10 signal from the Shield TV.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your info, very interesting, and gives me some hope...

I am using a recently purchased Sony x800 4k bluray player, connect it directly to Lune using the HDMI that comes with the x800, to play genuine 4k UHD (john wick 1 and 2). In Lune I tried all 3 HDMI ports, all set to HDMI 2.0. It gives me that blue screen saying my TV (main) is not HDCP 2.2 compliant. Same result if I included the Onkyo TX NR 686 AV receiver in the chain.

Something wrong with my Lune s software setting or hardware (HDMI port) or something else???
post #19 of 311 Old 07-18-2018, 01:43 PM

One possibility could be your HDMI cable but I'm not sure. I used the ATEVON hdmi cable bought off of Amazon. I also remember updating the Lune firmware to the latest version about a week ago. I'm not sure what was part of the update.

You may want to try another device besides your player or you can send it to me and I'll test it for you :-)
post #20 of 311 Old 07-19-2018, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soylentgreen View Post
One possibility could be your HDMI cable but I'm not sure.
I think it is too.
post #21 of 311 Old 07-19-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by soylentgreen View Post
One possibility could be your HDMI cable but I'm not sure.
I think it is too.
I use the high speed HDMI cable that comes with the Sony x800, and I also tried a few other very short (1m and less) HDMI 2.0 cables, same result....

There is also a colour issue when playing 4k UHD bluray - the colour becomes very pale, I have to tune up the colour but that makes the hue all wrong and the blue colour comes out super unnatural....you guys have the same problem?
post #22 of 311 Old 07-19-2018, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I use the high speed HDMI cable that comes with the Sony x800, and I also tried a few other very short (1m and less) HDMI 2.0 cables, same result....

There is also a colour issue when playing 4k UHD bluray - the colour becomes very pale, I have to tune up the colour but that makes the hue all wrong and the blue colour comes out super unnatural....you guys have the same problem?
That's strange. All the feed that I've tested via HDMI have been fine:

XGIMI on the right.

Last edited by rocklee; 07-19-2018 at 07:55 PM.
post #23 of 311 Old 07-19-2018, 07:53 PM

I got the Lune. Yours?

Could this be a firmware issue (mine is up to date, v 1.1.13 or something) or hardware (HDMI port defect? But all 3 ports have the same result)?
post #24 of 311 Old 07-19-2018, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I got the Lune. Yours?

Could this be a firmware issue (mine is up to date, v 1.1.13 or something) or hardware (HDMI port defect? But all 3 ports have the same result)?
I'm on holiday in Beijing right now so I can't check my version. You can update it to the latest one via the XGIMI sub menu (same location as the picture/sound setttings).

Also, the 3 ports are not the same. If I remember correctly, the 2nd port supports ARC. You should use the 1st one.
post #25 of 311 Old 07-19-2018, 08:08 PM

Yours is H2 or Lune? (Or basically all current gen xgimi projectors are HDCP2.2 compliant?)

Yes I do the online firmware update the way you described.

Right only HDMI 2 is ARC, so thats the main port I use, but I tried all 3 ports for the purpose of fixing this HDCP 2.2 problem.
post #26 of 311 Old 07-19-2018, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklee View Post
That's strange. All the feed that I've tested via HDMI have been fine:

XGIMI on the right.

May we know what projector is in the left?
post #27 of 311 Old 07-19-2018, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by displaylou View Post
May we know what projector is in the left?
It's an Optoma UST projector
post #28 of 311 Old 07-19-2018, 10:43 PM

And guys, I also wonder if your model is exactly the same as mine - mine was purchased from Taobao and shipped to Hong Kong, which might be the "China domestic version", and yours might be the exported "international version"? Might be only yours are HDCP 2.2 compliant?
post #29 of 311 Old 07-20-2018, 08:25 AM

I have proved the problem is my Lune, but I donno how to fix it.

Took my Sony player and 4 different HDMI cables (including a 6 years old 1.4 one) to my friends place, connected them with his 2015 Panasonic 4K tv. The tv played all 4k UHD blurays just fine in 4k 60hz resolution and good looking colour...

Also proved that old HDMI cable can play 4k bluray.

Can I just reconfirm with you guys that your Lune can play 4k UHD blurays (and other HDCP 2.2 protected sources) in 4k resolution?

Thanks
post #30 of 311 Old 07-20-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I have proved the problem is my Lune, but I donno how to fix it.

Took my Sony player and 4 different HDMI cables (including a 6 years old 1.4 one) to my friends place, connected them with his 2015 Panasonic 4K tv. The tv played all 4k UHD blurays just fine in 4k 60hz resolution and good looking colour...

Also proved that old HDMI cable can play 4k bluray.

Can I just reconfirm with you guys that your Lune can play 4k UHD blurays (and other HDCP 2.2 protected sources) in 4k resolution?

Thanks
No, mine is from China. I think I bought one of the first ones. I had a friend export it to me to the U.S. As far as I know there are no international versions of the Lune.

Unfortunately, I don't own a Bluray player. Everything is done via my Shield TV. I've used both Netflix, Youtube, and Prime Video apps without any issues. Also, the display is 1920x1080 but accepts 4K and downsamples the image.\

You mentioned having issues with color accuracy. I've had the same problem with reproducing blues. It looks unnatural. I've tried adjusting it but all you have are the basic controls brightness, contrast, saturation, sharpness, RGB. I actually had to dial down saturation because it looked way too intense.

The Lune definitely is not perfect. I have an ALR screen and it still isn't bright enough in my living room when the curtains are up. In my opinion, any decent 4K tv will have a better image than the Lune. It's really the fact that you can project at 100+ at short distances that makes this projector worthwhile.

One more suggestion, I would try connecting your Lune to some other device besides your Bluray player. Maybe try a streaming box like Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, Firestick. I simply haven't seen any issues with HDCP 2.2 compliance when connected to the Nvidia Shield TV.

Last edited by soylentgreen; 07-20-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP