Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 Old 12-20-2018, 09:38 AM
Member
 
benrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by trulsrohk View Post
Should not require any keystone whatsoever if level and completely parallel to the wall it's projecting onto as far as I know
That's right. If you're seeing keystone shaped distortion, it means that either your projector or your screen is tilted.

Ben R.
benrub is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 47 Old 12-26-2018, 07:30 PM
Member
 
MisterClean84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lake Jackson, Tx
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What screen is everyone using? I'm upgrading from a DIY blackout cloth to probably a silver ticket screen and I'm having a terrible time deciding which one to get.
MisterClean84 is online now  
post #33 of 47 Old 12-26-2018, 07:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClean84 View Post
What screen is everyone using? I'm upgrading from a DIY blackout cloth to probably a silver ticket screen and I'm having a terrible time deciding which one to get.
Im getting a 120” 2.35:1 Elunevision Reference 4K mortorized Tab tension, 1.0 gain
http://elunevision.com/screens/refe...tab-tensioned/

Build Thread:http://01900888.com/forum/19-de...m-wet-bar.html
Theatre Room: Samsung UN55KU7000F | Pioneer SP-FS52 x 2 | Polk MC80 x 2
Incoming: JVC DLA-X590RB | 120" Elunevision 4K Reference Tab 2.35:1 | Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
phanttom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 47 Old 12-29-2018, 02:49 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Where do you find 2.35:1 content?
Bogdan Andrei is offline  
post #35 of 47 Old 12-29-2018, 05:36 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: New Delhi, India
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdan Andrei View Post
Where do you find 2.35:1 content?
Hi andre, almost every movie which have black bars are either in 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 so there is no shortage of content
jerryjames72 is offline  
post #36 of 47 Old 12-29-2018, 05:55 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yes, but still new to this projector and not many hours spent. The source is detected as 16:9, how do I switch to 2.35:1? Just zoom and adjust or does it automatically crop the black edges somehow?
Sorry for putting this silly thing.
Also I'm expecting Fire stick 4k, anyone has it? Will I get 4k hdr 24fps downscale?
Bogdan Andrei is offline  
post #37 of 47 Old 12-29-2018, 09:19 AM
Member
 
MisterClean84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lake Jackson, Tx
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanttom View Post
Im getting a 120” 2.35:1 Elunevision Reference 4K mortorized Tab tension, 1.0 gain
http://elunevision.com/screens/refe...tab-tensioned/
I'll be getting a fixed screen. Comparing the silverticket gray (1.0 gain) and the white (1.1 gain), at least in my room, the gray looks better in just about every light. I like the better whites and color pop with the white but everything else including skin tones are just too washed out. This is using the color correction settings from the 4010 review posted a few posts back
MisterClean84 is online now  
post #38 of 47 Old 12-29-2018, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanttom View Post
Im getting a 120” 2.35:1 Elunevision Reference 4K mortorized Tab tension, 1.0 gain
http://elunevision.com/screens/refe...tab-tensioned/
Great screen! I have the same but in 16x9

I love mine. I'm curious to know your thoughts

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
evilmonstertruk is offline  
post #39 of 47 Old 12-30-2018, 10:31 AM
Member
 
David Sal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm seriously thinking about the Epson 4010, but right now I have a Panasonic AE8000. How would the Epson compare regarding the contrast and blacks? Would it be better, equal or worst?

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk
David Sal is offline  
post #40 of 47 Old 12-30-2018, 10:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Here is a video showing the 5040 vs the Panasonic. I suspect the 4010/4050 would be in between but still better than the Panasonic.

http://youtu.be/qR1xpCBAtdc
David Sal likes this.

Build Thread:http://01900888.com/forum/19-de...m-wet-bar.html
Theatre Room: Samsung UN55KU7000F | Pioneer SP-FS52 x 2 | Polk MC80 x 2
Incoming: JVC DLA-X590RB | 120" Elunevision 4K Reference Tab 2.35:1 | Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
phanttom is offline  
post #41 of 47 Old 01-03-2019, 09:46 AM
Member
 
benrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Fellas,

Does anyone have any thoughts, recommendations, opinions about using a surge protector with the Epson 4010? I currently have mine plugged directly into the wall outlet.

I’m wary of surge protectors. I’ve heard that some of them actually limit/reduce the amount of power to the devices that are plugged into them.

The power cable that came with the Epson says “10A 125V” so I want to be sure that if do add a surge protector, that I use one that can easily provide 10 amps / 125 volts of power to the projector.

A single outlet surge protector would be preferable as opposed to a larger power strip.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.
benrub is offline  
post #42 of 47 Old 01-05-2019, 07:32 PM
Member
 
bondslex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm sure everyone is having fun with these new PJs. Anybody care to share any pics of their projected images?
bondslex is offline  
post #43 of 47 Old 01-06-2019, 06:44 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone have a good demo of the Epson 4050/4010. Struggling to find a high quality comparison comparing these projectors to other 4K shifters.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buckeye_Bry is offline  
post #44 of 47 Old 01-06-2019, 08:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye_Bry View Post
Does anyone have a good demo of the Epson 4050/4010. Struggling to find a high quality comparison comparing these projectors to other 4K shifters.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Based on all my research the new Epson's and JVC's have the best shifting of all the manufactures and are very good at it. 4010 literally has only been out a few months so not a lot of testing. Projectorcentral and hometheaterhifi did it and the first probably the most popular place for reviews on projectors. Not sure over time if you'll see a whole lot more out there with those type of credentials doing the review.

We are kind of in a tweener market right now without spending 4k+ to get a native 4K projector and have been stuck there for a little while. It will probably be another 3 years or so before native 4K starts falling into the 2k area price point. Reason it takes so long for technology tickle down is the consumer projector market isn't that big.


I'm moving forward on Epson 4010 when it pops up on sale again for 1799. At that price I can see how the market plays out over the next 5 years or so and won't feel to bad upgrading down the road. I have hard time right now dropping 3.5K+ on pixel shifting projector to appear 4K when we are getting closer and closer of native 4K for more reasonable price.
skylolow is offline  
post #45 of 47 Old 01-06-2019, 09:11 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylolow View Post
Based on all my research the new Epson's and JVC's have the best shifting of all the manufactures and are very good at it. 4010 literally has only been out a few months so not a lot of testing. Projectorcentral and hometheaterhifi did it and the first probably the most popular place for reviews on projectors. Not sure over time if you'll see a whole lot more out there with those type of credentials doing the review.



We are kind of in a tweener market right now without spending 4k+ to get a native 4K projector and have been stuck there for a little while. It will probably be another 3 years or so before native 4K starts falling into the 2k area price point. Reason it takes so long for technology tickle down is the consumer projector market isn't that big.





I'm moving forward on Epson 4010 when it pops up on sale again for 1799. At that price I can see how the market plays out over the next 5 years or so and won't feel to bad upgrading down the road. I have hard time right now dropping 3.5K+ on pixel shifting projector to appear 4K when we are getting closer and closer of native 4K for more reasonable price.


I tend to agree. I waiting for CES and the Super Bowl sales (Feb 3) before pulling the trigger. I was leaning toward the JVC 540 (3.7k) or a 5040 (2.2k). I believe the new 5050 will be closer to 3k once released with the pro version 6050 3.5k. This is just my guess. Given the e-shift 4K market, I’m not sure the improvement/cost ratio justifies spending more than a 4050 (~2k) at this point. Obviously prosumers will have a different opinion. For casual theater enthusiasts, I’m not so sure...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skylolow likes this.
Buckeye_Bry is offline  
post #46 of 47 Old 01-06-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 1,105
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye_Bry View Post
I tend to agree. I waiting for CES and the Super Bowl sales (Feb 3) before pulling the trigger. I was leaning toward the JVC 540 (3.7k) or a 5040 (2.2k). I believe the new 5050 will be closer to 3k once released with the pro version 6050 3.5k. This is just my guess. Given the e-shift 4K market, I’m not sure the improvement/cost ratio justifies spending more than a 4050 (~2k) at this point. Obviously prosumers will have a different opinion. For casual theater enthusiasts, I’m not so sure...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought the 4050 and feel it was a good buy. Ceiling mount, extra lamp, and 3 year quick replacement, were the reasons why I bought it. It is a big projector and so far looks good with the limited amount of time I have had with it. Here is a good review of the 4010 and 4050


BCRSS is online now  
post #47 of 47 Old 01-17-2019, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
GrandPixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Cross-posting my projector buying experience in appropriate threads...

I purchased the Epson HC4010, installed it, used it for a few days, and the lack of contrast because of high black levels bothered me. I returned it and purchased the HC5040UB, which is now basically the same price as the 4010 because of the sale and free lamp - I think Epson plans to replace the 5040 with a new model soon.

I installed the 5040UB and immediately noticed the lower black levels in almost every scene, which gave the picture greater contrast and looks far better.

When projectorcentral compares the two projectors and talks about black levels, they basically say the difference is not small. Here is their conclusion: "The HC5040 has better contrast and, especially, lower black levels that far exceed the capabilities of the HC4010, but which are really only brought to bear on very dark scenes, and in dark-room theater viewing. On most bright or mixed material, or in even moderate ambient light, both projectors are close in contrast performance."

However, I don't have a light-controlled room (yet) and I have a white ceiling (for now) and I have to say, I immediately noticed the higher contrast in just about every scene except where the entire image is bright. Think of it like upgrading a TV half-way from LCD to OLED. In this price range, especially with 5040 sale prices, the 5040UB is a no-brainer.
GrandPixel is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off