• 1 Post By cubsfan

post #1 of 25 Old 12-21-2018, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
eyb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG announces new 4K UST LG HU85L

LG just announced a new ultra short throw, HU85L, which looks to be its follow up to the HU80KA. This time, it's actually a UST, but with pretty different form factor - they're still promoting its portability but it certainly looks less so than its predecessor. Posting in this forum for now, assuming it's priced comparably to the HU80KA - I'm personally still fascinated by the HU80KA despite its shortcomings and would love to hear all of your initial thoughts!

www (dot) prnewswire (dot) com/news-releases/new-cinebeam-laser-4k-projector-from-lg-with-ultra-short-throw-technology-debuts-at-ces-2019-300769970.html

New Cinebeam Laser 4K Projector From LG With Ultra Short Throw Technology Debuts At CES 2019
LG's Latest CineBeam Offers Astonishing Image Quality, Ultimate Convenience and AI Technology for a Superior Viewing Experience

NEWS PROVIDED BY

LG Electronics USA
20:00 ET

ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., Dec. 20, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- LG Electronics (LG) is set to unveil its second-generation CineBeam Laser 4K projector (model HU85L) with Ultra Short Throw (UST) technology at CES™ 2019. This CES 2019 Innovation Award winner builds upon the success of LG's first 4K projector (model HU80K) and continues to stand out from the crowd with its minimal space requirement and compact design that can project stunningly sharp 4K images on practically any flat surface – a wall, floor or ceiling.

With UST technology, LG CineBeam Laser 4K can be placed a little more than 2 inches from the wall to project a 90-inch diagonal image. Placed 7 inches away, the projector produces a much larger and still bright 120-inch image. Simple and efficient to set up, the space-friendly unit provides stunning viewing experiences on a truly cinematic scale.

Delivering 2,500 ANSI lumens and 4K UHD resolution, LG CineBeam Laser 4K ensures exceptionally bright and clear images and superb black level, enhancing the viewer's sense of immersion. LG model HU85L can reproduce highly accurate colors courtesy of its wide color gamut, which further increases the realism of every picture displayed.

Extremely compact, the projector can be easily moved and adjusted for any environment, saving time in order to get right down to the business of viewing. The LG CineBeam Laser 4K is smaller than other leading 4K projectors and has a subtle design that won't distract or interfere with the viewing experience – and makes the LG HU85L an attractive addition to any space. The advanced projector offers enhanced visual accuracy with a 12-point keystone adjustment feature, eliminating the image distortion that often affects other UST projectors. LG 4K UHD projector owners will have no shortage of content to watch, as the projector's webOS 4.5 function offers convenient access to Netflix, Hulu and other 4K streaming services. The device comes equipped with standard connectivity options for USB, Ethernet and HDMI ports, as well as wireless support for external devices such as a keyboard and mouse, offering endless access to high-quality content.

The LG CineBeam Laser 4K brings maximum user convenience through the inclusion of AI technology* which enables customers to use voice commands to access the natural language processing capabilities of LG's AI solution, ThinQ. Viewers can control the operation of the projector by saying, "turn off projector after the movie has finished" or narrow the content to view by telling the projector to "play yoga videos on YouTube". Viewers can access a list of movies starring their favorite actors then select the content by speaking into the included Magic Remote. The Magic Remote also recognizes gestures and features backlit buttons for easy navigation which turn on automatically when motion is detected.

"The new CineBeam Laser projector marries spectacular 4K viewing experience with the convenience of AI technology," said Jang Ik-hwan, head of LG's IT business division. "There is no other product like this on the market, illustrating how LG continues to deliver unique value to consumers."

Visitors to CES can see LG's award-winning CineBeam Laser 4K for themselves at the LG booth (#11100) located in the Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center from January 8-11.

For additional CES news, visit ces2019.lgusnewsroom.com.

* Not available in all markets.

About LG Electronics USA
LG Electronics USA, Inc., based in Englewood Cliffs, N.J., is the North American subsidiary of LG Electronics, Inc., a $55 billion global innovator in technology and manufacturing. In the United States, LG sells a wide range of innovative home appliances, home entertainment products, mobile phones, commercial displays, air conditioning systems, solar energy solutions and vehicle components. The "Life's Good" marketing theme encompasses how LG is dedicated to people's happiness by exceeding expectations today and tomorrow. LG is a 2018 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year. ces2019.lgusnewsroom.com.

SOURCE LG Electronics USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-21-2018, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Would be a good upgrade from cheap chinese ust if priced competitively.
post #3 of 25 Old 12-21-2018, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Sounds good... if it would only handle 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 12-21-2018, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked: 454
This is a duplicate post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 25 Old 12-22-2018, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 72
more info
http://www.lgnewsroom.com/2018/12/ne...s-at-ces-2019/

too boxxy?

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS Pico Handheld
Xbox One S, LG SH4

Last edited by wheelee; 12-22-2018 at 11:44 AM.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-23-2018, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
This is going to be very interesting to follow.

A genuine UST in 4K laser. I'm betting a lot of people have been waiting for this.

I would say the styling suits Western taste quite well.

Lets hope this one is THE one and a good performer with great contrast.
post #7 of 25 Old 12-23-2018, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Oh I didn't pick up that it was laser

Oh well - another pj for the rich to quibble over

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 25 Old 12-23-2018, 06:01 AM

Are you saying you think this will be over 2K
post #9 of 25 Old 12-23-2018, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 245
I wonder if it has the same picture calibration tools that the 80K has? If it does, which is likely, this would be the first one that does. The Dell does not nor do any of the Chinese USTs from XGIMI, XAOMI, and JMGO.

For a $3K-$4K UST, the likely price, it would be worth the extra money to have it calibrated professionally by an ISF qualified guy. Since it's laser then one calibration is good for most of the lifetime of the projector. Sign me up!

Jack
post #10 of 25 Old 01-01-2019, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelee View Post

Question...

Is this box going to be ceiling mountable ?

Maybe someone who has the gen 1 box can answer.
post #11 of 25 Old 01-05-2019, 09:14 PM

anybody going to CES with their eyes on this projector ? It would be nice to get an opinion on performance with some lights on. Also , a mini review, and don't forget pricing !
post #12 of 25 Old 01-06-2019, 02:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Yeah, I definitely have my eye on this. Came close to grabbing the 85" Sony 900F last year, but decided to wait. If the image from this UST has great black levels and clarity at 120", I might have to buy it if the price is right. Not having to mount it to the ceiling and run wires through ceiling is huge. Just place on current TV stand 7" from wall and bam! 120"!
post #13 of 25 Old 01-06-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post
Yeah, I definitely have my eye on this. Came close to grabbing the 85" Sony 900F last year, but decided to wait. If the image from this UST has great black levels and clarity at 120", I might have to buy it if the price is right. Not having to mount it to the ceiling and run wires through ceiling is huge. Just place on current TV stand 7" from wall and bam! 120"!
Yes thats the ideal.....however will the blacks be OK? Thats usually the bugbear. Then if the price is right - next hurdle.

If this projector can bring all the variables together it would be a runaway hit I think. Great image, great blacks, able to be calibrated, low noise, reasonable price point. If it does all that then it would be THE projector to get.

Guess we will see in the next days.
post #14 of 25 Old 01-06-2019, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I know 3D is basically dead but it would be nice if this projector can handle it. 3D on a 120" screen has to look amazing. Been looking for UST lazer 4K projector for a while. I hope LG gets this right. If price is right I have the perfect spot for it
post #15 of 25 Old 01-06-2019, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Questions I have:

- Cost? There is a separate thread for this projector in the $3k+ forum so people seem to be split on the cost.

- Input lag? LG doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to input lag times.
post #16 of 25 Old 01-06-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Good luck on the black levels. Unless it has a dynamic iris the black levels will not be satisfactory.

Jack
post #17 of 25 Old 01-06-2019, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I don’t see any reason why this projector would have good black levels, since that’s not what it’s advertised for. Not that those fake photos of it producing a wonderfully contrasty image with tons of ambient light are to be trusted either. I don’t mean it won’t be a good projector, it’s just that it doesn’t make any sense to me to expect any of the 2 situations to be true.

post #18 of 25 Old 01-06-2019, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
I don’t see any reason why this projector would have good black levels, since that’s not what it’s advertised for. Not that those fake photos of it producing a wonderfully contrasty image with tons of ambient light are to be trusted either. I don’t mean it won’t be a good projector, it’s just that it doesn’t make any sense to me to expect any of the 2 situations to be true.

Not advertised for? LG states superb black levels. Sure, it's LG talking about an LG product, but hopefully the black levels surprise because a 120" 4K UST possibly around $2-$4K has my interest.
post #19 of 25 Old 01-06-2019, 01:56 PM

$2k to 3K would be better for everyone !
post #20 of 25 Old 01-06-2019, 11:35 PM

With decent blacks and 3K , I am in. I might go to 4-5K. Above that I would start looking at other options. More money but most likely more machine too. A PJ like this new LG at around 3K, if it can tick the boxes, is ideal.

Been sitting watching, reading, waiting for some time now. Its never been quite right for me. I need Lazer or LED. I need UST. 4K is I feel, useful to have as we go forward (have 408 UHD titles ready for the day I get a 4K projector). I need reasonable black levels.

Is this the one?
post #21 of 25 Old 01-06-2019, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Not advertised for? LG states superb black levels. Sure, it's LG talking about an LG product, but hopefully the black levels surprise because a 120" 4K UST possibly around $2-$4K has my interest.

Regardless of what they say, it’s a living room projector, and it’s being advertised as such. Not only that, the underlying technology hasn’t reached superb black levels for the home theater market.

post #22 of 25 Old 01-07-2019, 08:30 PM

post #23 of 25 Old 01-07-2019, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Dual laser. Farewell to <3k forum.
post #24 of 25 Old 01-07-2019, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Does dual laser means better contrast/colors? I hope they won’t be using the inferior 0.47 chip and the price to be less than 5000euro.
post #25 of 25 Old 01-09-2019, 08:16 AM

looks like LG is asleep at the wheel at CES, when it comes to this pj. AI must be malfunctioning.
tambur123 likes this.

Last edited by cubsfan; 01-09-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP