Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 01-10-2019, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I just got my very FIRST Projector a few days ago

And already I'm feeling buyer's remorse and this is because back in 2016 I felt like I jumped the gun a bit and bought the Samsung KS 8000 and I felt like after that year was when 4K TVs went mainstream and more TVs were implementing significantly better features and even bigger sizes than what I had paid for the KS upon release.

Now I just got the BenQ HT2550 and if I'm being honest it's because of the low price in comparison to other options.

I didn't really do my homework so what's the consensus on these models in comparison to each other? I know just as with TVs each projector would have strengths and weaknesses

So is the epson 5040 or 4010 signficantly better than the either of the BenQ 2550 or TK800 or even the Optoma UHD60?

At this point since it's 2019 already should I just wait for the arrival of the new projectors this year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-11-2019, 02:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Their are so many different factors in selecting a projector that it's impossible to give you any real advice without knowing the exact environment and content your planning on watching. Personally in a dedicated theater with dark ceiling and walls the Epson 5040,JVC RSxxx or Sony would be my choice for movie watching as contrast counts more then resolution in that kind of environment and content. Many people like the XPR DLP's for their close to true 4K resolution and in a less then ideal rooms their poor contrast doesn't count as much especially when watching bright content like sports.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 23 Old 01-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7mcs View Post
And already I'm feeling buyer's remorse and this is because back in 2016 I felt like I jumped the gun a bit and bought the Samsung KS 8000 and I felt like after that year was when 4K TVs went mainstream and more TVs were implementing significantly better features and even bigger sizes than what I had paid for the KS upon release.

Now I just got the BenQ HT2550 and if I'm being honest it's because of the low price in comparison to other options.

I didn't really do my homework so what's the consensus on these models in comparison to each other? I know just as with TVs each projector would have strengths and weaknesses

So is the epson 5040 or 4010 signficantly better than the either of the BenQ 2550 or TK800 or even the Optoma UHD60?

At this point since it's 2019 already should I just wait for the arrival of the new projectors this year?
If it's your first projector and budget is a consideration, any of the well-reviewed projectors here (http://www.projectorcentral.com/bes...projectors.htm) will be just fine as long as you are using a 16x9 screen. If you are using a 2.35:1 screen, you'll want lens memory which comes on the Epson 4010 and 5040 models and some other more expensive models. I personally have a 2.35:1 screen and ordered the Epson 4010, but was unhappy with its black levels, so I returned it and purchased the 5040UB. It should arrive Monday.

Just do some research at projectorcentral.com and see what you can learn there. Any projector that receives a decent review will be fine - but most projectors at this price point have some weaknesses. Just learn what those are and make sure you're okay with the tradeoffs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 01-11-2019, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPixel View Post
If it's your first projector and budget is a consideration, any of the well-reviewed projectors here (http://www.projectorcentral.com/bes...projectors.htm) will be just fine as long as you are using a 16x9 screen. If you are using a 2.35:1 screen, you'll want lens memory which comes on the Epson 4010 and 5040 models and some other more expensive models. I personally have a 2.35:1 screen and ordered the Epson 4010, but was unhappy with its black levels, so I returned it and purchased the 5040UB. It should arrive Monday.

Just do some research at projectorcentral.com and see what you can learn there. Any projector that receives a decent review will be fine - but most projectors at this price point have some weaknesses. Just learn what those are and make sure you're okay with the tradeoffs.
Thank you very much for those valuable words of advice!
It is my first projector so in a way I was just jumping in head first without having done any proper research. Unlike with TVs I just can't go to BestBuy I take a look at the projectors on the show floor to get a good gauge of their strengths and weaknesses.

The 5040ub was on my list as well so I'll be interested in hearing your review and thoughts on it once you have it set-up and ready for action.
Please remember me!
post #5 of 23 Old 01-11-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Quote:
... I know just as with TVs each projector would have strengths and weaknesses

So is the epson 5040 or 4010 signficantly better than the either of the BenQ 2550 or TK800 or even the Optoma UHD60? ...
As you already noted, they have different sets of strengths and weaknesses so better in some areas and not better in others. The only way to know what's better for you is to understand which areas of projector performance are most important to you. What specifically do you really like about your HT2550 and where do you feel it falls short of expectations and would like to see improvement?
post #6 of 23 Old 01-11-2019, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
As you already noted, they have different sets of strengths and weaknesses so better in some areas and not better in others. The only way to know what's better for you is to understand which areas of projector performance are most important to you. What specifically do you really like about your HT2550 and where do you feel it falls short of expectations and would like to see improvement?
Hi Dave, thanks for your input

This is my very first ever projector so I'm quite easily impressed with the HT2550 but the thing is I'm just thinking that maybe the epson 4050 or the 4010 would've been even much better as far as contrast HDR quality

The projector is used in a dark room so contrast is huge big deal for me. That's one of the reasons why despite all the rave reviews the KS 8000 got back when it was released in 2016 and having owned it since then I just was never able to grow to love it all because it's edge lit and all.... Now I know projectors can't compare to TVs in the contrast department but what you lose in that you gain in enormous screen size!
post #7 of 23 Old 01-11-2019, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Also I would suggest researching how to properly calibrate the projector. It can turn an okay image into a wow one. I was initially disappointed by the picture of my JVC but after calibrating, it now rivals my plasma in a dark room.
For just starting out, I would recommend the Disney WOW disc. After that, if you're really picky, buy an i1 Display Pro and learn to use HCFR which is a free program.

Video: JVS RS35 or Optoma HD8600 on 120". - 60" Panasonic plasma. - Darby Darblet video processor. - Panasonic BD85 Blu-ray playback.
Audio: Denon X1100W. - Speakers: Philharmonic AA+ LRC, Mirage Omnipolar Spherex surrounds. Subwoofers: - MFW-15 Turbo(amp only), Dual 12".
Misc: Sennheiser HD558 powered by Recon3d USB. HCFR with i1 Pro. PSVR for 3D Blu-ray.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-11-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For the best contrast the Epson 5040 is the one to look at or of course JVC RS440 trumps them all but is out of the $3K forum for the most part unless you settle for a B stock. The Epson 4000's contrast is only a little better then the DLP's. If you forget 4K/HDR the Sony HW45es is the best 1080p for contrast and is $1k cheaper then the 5040. Projectors really can't display HDR and it comes down to what one tone maps to SDR the best.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #9 of 23 Old 01-11-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishHT View Post
Also I would suggest researching how to properly calibrate the projector. It can turn an okay image into a wow one. I was initially disappointed by the picture of my JVC but after calibrating, it now rivals my plasma in a dark room.
For just starting out, I would recommend the Disney WOW disc. After that, if you're really picky, buy an i1 Display Pro and learn to use HCFR which is a free program.
I looked for the Disney Wow Bluray and couldn't find it. I mean, I think I found someone selling a used copy for a lot of money.

Tony
post #10 of 23 Old 01-11-2019, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
I looked for the Disney Wow Bluray and couldn't find it. I mean, I think I found someone selling a used copy for a lot of money.
Wow, I had no idea prices had gone up that much! I bought mine years ago for around $30 but you're right, the used prices are ridiculous. The Disney disc is the most user friendly but there are others such as Spears and Munsil, DVE: HD Basics, or even the free one offered here on the forum. Though for the AVS one, you'll need to know how to use burn the ISO image onto disc. Depending on what you have connected to the projector, you could use a device that has a web browser and use http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ for test patterns and http://www.ledr.com/colours/multi.htm for colors.

Video: JVS RS35 or Optoma HD8600 on 120". - 60" Panasonic plasma. - Darby Darblet video processor. - Panasonic BD85 Blu-ray playback.
Audio: Denon X1100W. - Speakers: Philharmonic AA+ LRC, Mirage Omnipolar Spherex surrounds. Subwoofers: - MFW-15 Turbo(amp only), Dual 12".
Misc: Sennheiser HD558 powered by Recon3d USB. HCFR with i1 Pro. PSVR for 3D Blu-ray.
post #11 of 23 Old 01-11-2019, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 1995
You did fine with the 2550 as a first projector......for the price VS performance, it is a great first projector.

That projector is value leader.....like everything, it has strong points and weak points, but over all it is a solid one.

You might want to look into some velvet for up front in your room, it can make a huge difference....I have the BenQHT2050 and velvet in most of the room, I have also seen some projectors in a normal room that cost 3 times what I paid that do not look as good as mine does overall.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......http://01900888.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...http://01900888.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #12 of 23 Old 01-11-2019, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
For the best contrast the Epson 5040 is the one to look at or of course JVC RS440 trumps them all but is out of the $3K forum for the most part unless you settle for a B stock. The Epson 4000's contrast is only a little better then the DLP's. If you forget 4K/HDR the Sony HW45es is the best 1080p for contrast and is $1k cheaper then the 5040. Projectors really can't display HDR and it comes down to what one tone maps to SDR the best.
The JVC RS440 you say...... I see one selling for $3,999 - is that a good price for this projector (not sure what it was going for at MSRP)

I did consider the Epson 5040 but that's last year's model and a new model should be announced this year right? I'm wondering just how much of an improvement it would be...

And I'm also looking for 4k UHD rather than 1080p even if it's using e-shift or enhancements to achieve it.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-11-2019, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
You did fine with the 2550 as a first projector......for the price VS performance, it is a great first projector.

That projector is value leader.....like everything, it has strong points and weak points, but over all it is a solid one.

You might want to look into some velvet for up front in your room, it can make a huge difference....I have the BenQHT2050 and velvet in most of the room, I have also seen some projectors in a normal room that cost 3 times what I paid that do not look as good as mine does overall.
Thanks for the tips... I'll take notes and try to implement what you suggested at some point
post #14 of 23 Old 01-11-2019, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The JVC RS440 you say...... I see one selling for $3,999 - is that a good price for this projector (not sure what it was going for at MSRP)

I did consider the Epson 5040 but that's last year's model and a new model should be announced this year right? I'm wondering just how much of an improvement it would be...

And I'm also looking for 4k UHD rather than 1080p even if it's using e-shift or enhancements to achieve it.
Both the 5040 and JVC RSxxx are capable of excepting a 4K/HDR source but have a 1080p chip shifted 2X for half 4K resolution. The new JVC N5 is true 4K chip with a MSRP of $4999. $3999 is the current MSRP of the RS440 but you need to call a dealer for the true price as they are selling cheaper but not allowed to advertise a lower price. Sony is the only other manufacture selling full 4K projectors. The XPR DLP's do show full 4K resolution with either a 1080p chip shifted 4x like the 2550 or a 1/2 4K chip shifted 2x but their contrast is poor but they are fairly popular because they do a good job with true 4K sources.

Last edited by rekbones; 01-11-2019 at 07:30 PM.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-11-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 281
what is your usage ? Is there enough 4k content that you will be watching to even consider a 4k projector right now? Is the upscaling in the projector good enough that it's worth it ? I'm sticking with my 1080P projector until the tech from the higher end units trickles down to the lower level that I can afford so I don't have to spend on a new 4k projector right now , and again in 2 or so years when they are significantly better.

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
post #16 of 23 Old 01-11-2019, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
what is your usage ? Is there enough 4k content that you will be watching to even consider a 4k projector right now? Is the upscaling in the projector good enough that it's worth it ? I'm sticking with my 1080P projector until the tech from the higher end units trickles down to the lower level that I can afford so I don't have to spend on a new 4k projector right now , and again in 2 or so years when they are significantly better.
I understand what you're saying and it would make sense...... if it was 2015, but right now there's a lot of 4k content available.

Even at 65 inches I can see the difference on my TV between watching 1080p and 4k content.

In 2 years there'll certainly be something that will come along and be better and probably cheaper than what is being offered currently but the same goes for everything out right now from toasters, to cars, to TVs to (insert blank)

If these projectors were higher in price in the $4k-$5k price range then I wouldn't even dare to be crazy enough to buy one right now either. But I feel like at just roughly close $2k it's not that bad
post #17 of 23 Old 01-11-2019, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
I understand what you're saying and it would make sense...... if it was 2015, but right now there's a lot of 4k content available.

Even at 65 inches I can see the difference on my TV between watching 1080p and 4k content.

In 2 years there'll certainly be something that will come along and be better and probably cheaper than what is being offered currently but the same goes for everything out right now from toasters, to cars, to TVs to (insert blank)

If these projectors were higher in price in the $4k-$5k price range then I wouldn't even dare to be crazy enough to buy one right now either. But I feel like at just roughly close $2k it's not that bad
I didn't say there wasn't content , and I didn't say there wasn't a difference , I asked if your use case warranted bothering with a 4k projector , since you stated several times that you didn't research before your purchase , it seemed a valid point to bring up , in 2019 .
Unless I'm mistaken hbo now and hulu don't offer 4k or HDR , those are my main sources other than blu-ray and occasional streaming rentals , so in 2019 there are use cases that don't justify the cost of upgrading to 4k until even more content is available , and as a bonus the problems with the budget conscious 4k projectors are ironed out . Of course there will always be something better down the road , I wait until the quality warrants the investment , and I don't think budget 4k projectors are there yet personally . Best luck with your decision

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
post #18 of 23 Old 01-12-2019, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 1995
From what people who know have posted on these forums, 4K makes a huge difference when were are talking blowing up a image to 120 inches diagonal...…...my 1080 PJ looks stunning at about 90 inches diagonal, not soo much at 143 inches diagonal.....especially with a 8 foot seating distance....

At 120 inches and about 14 feet it looks really good and not too bad at all at 8 feet, but it looks better at 14 feet.

Large screens and home seating distances, 4K is very important for us...….but 4k is every where, even a lot of youtube videos are in 4k.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......http://01900888.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...http://01900888.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #19 of 23 Old 01-12-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Quote:
… If these projectors were higher in price in the $4k-$5k price range then I wouldn't even dare to be crazy enough to buy one right now either. But I feel like at just roughly close $2k it's not that bad
With projectors you can't have it all with a ~$2,000 budget. The only ~$2,000 models that produce 3840x2160 pixels on the screen are DLP XPR 4K pixel shifters like your BenQ HT2550. All projectors in that price range with superior black levels are 3LCD and LCoS models that produce <3840x2160 pixel images that will be less sharp and detailed. Pick your poison.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-12-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-Wo...orld+of+wonder

$14.99 on Amazon for the DVD
post #21 of 23 Old 01-12-2019, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A bit off topic but do you regret moving to front projection at all? I realize this is different from possibly regretting the model you purchased.
post #22 of 23 Old 01-12-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
I've only used a calibration disc twice before. I borrowed one and it was DVE. I have yet to calibrate my BenQ HT2050a. I borrowed the Spears and Munsil but have been a little intimidated to begin. I saw the Disney WOW DVD, but didn't think that would be appropriate to use for a 1080p display. I assumed I would need the Bluray. Is that a wrong understanding on my part? I was looking for the WOW just to get a quick and easy way to calibrate to better than out of the box

Tony
post #23 of 23 Old 01-12-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Their is a free AVS calibration BluRay ISO file here on these forums you can download you just need to do a search for it. The Disney WOW bluray has been discontinued that's why the high premium in the used market

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP