• 2 Post By Lasalle

post #1 of 15 Old 01-09-2019, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Alcons Audio amp requirement

I am considering CRMS MkII for LCR and four CRMS surrounds or CRMS compact surrounds . I want to use Sentinel10 for LCRs . Can someone guide me how many total amps and which models will I need for Ideal amplification . I am willing to compromise on surround amplification if it saves money without compromising sound too much

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-10-2019, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 58
For the CRMS MkII's, you need 2 channels of amplification for each speaker. For the CRMS (compact) surround you only need 1 channel for each speaker.

If I got this right, the only difference between the amps is the power.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-10-2019, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
I am considering CRMS MkII for LCR and four CRMS surrounds or CRMS compact surrounds . I want to use Sentinel10 for LCRs . Can someone guide me how many total amps and which models will I need for Ideal amplification . I am willing to compromise on surround amplification if it saves money without compromising sound too much

Thanks
The Sentinel 10’s are probably overkill, the 3’s should be fine. As mentioned the CRMS mkII’s need to be bi-amped. I’m not clear on your surrounds. Are looking at a choice between the CRMS-SR and the CRMSC-SR’s? Or are you looking at a full range CRMSCompact? The CRMSCompact can optionally be run off a single amp channel or be bi-amped. The CRM-SR’s and CRMSC-SR’s run off a single channel and the Sentinel 3’s are more than enough (as they are for the L,C,R). If you are considering the CRMSC-SR’s you should look at the CRMSC-SRHV, it has greater vertical dispersion, really needed for the heights/tops but also nice for the surrounds if you are looking at the 2inch ribbon speakers for the surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-11-2019, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies
Deciding between CRMS SRIW and SRVH for surrounds
Does sentinel 10 need a dedicated 20 amp circuit per amplifier ? Doesn’t clearly say on the website what the power requirements are ?
post #5 of 15 Old 01-11-2019, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies
Deciding between CRMS SRIW and SRVH for surrounds
Does sentinel 10 need a dedicated 20 amp circuit per amplifier ? Doesn’t clearly say on the website what the power requirements are ?
The Sentinel 10 needs a 30 amp circuit, the Sentinel 3 takes a 20 amp circuit. I have 6 Sentinel 3’s each on it own 20 amp circuit. The 3 has 4 channels at 750 watts each. The 10 has 4 channels at 2500W each.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-11-2019, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks
I guess I will have to stick with Sentinel 3s
post #7 of 15 Old 01-12-2019, 03:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks
IMHO the only reason to get a 10 would be to power their new subs.
Lygren likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-12-2019, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What LCRs are you using ? Are you happy with the SPL and dynamics with sentinel 3 ?

Thanks
post #9 of 15 Old 01-12-2019, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
Quote:
Thanks
IMHO the only reason to get a 10 would be to power their new subs.
Thanks
What LCRs are you using ? Are you happy with the SPL and dynamics with the Sentinel 3 .
Reason I ask is that , I have used Genelec 2”3 way monitors and Seaton Catalyst 12s over last few years in my theater . They both are three way tri amplified monitors and provide very high undistorted SPLs . I just want to make sure , I won’t be taking a step back in those aspects before I make the switch . I use theater for 99% movies and 1% music use .
post #10 of 15 Old 01-12-2019, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks
What LCRs are you using ? Are you happy with the SPL and dynamics with the Sentinel 3 .
Reason I ask is that , I have used Genelec 2”3 way monitors and Seaton Catalyst 12s over last few years in my theater . They both are three way tri amplified monitors and provide very high undistorted SPLs . I just want to make sure , I won’t be taking a step back in those aspects before I make the switch . I use theater for 99% movies and 1% music use .
The LCR's are CRMS MkII's, 1500W per speaker is plenty even if your name is Peter. I also have 10 Seaton F18's so they don't need a lot of output below 40HZ.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-12-2019, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks
The LCR's are CRMS MkII's, 1500W per speaker is plenty even if your name is Peter.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG] I also have 10 Seaton F18's so they don't need a lot of output below 40HZ.
Good to know
So Sentinel 3 it is .
I can always bridge Sentinel 3s for LCRs if I need to .... 😜
post #12 of 15 Old 01-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Good to know
So Sentinel 3 it is .
I can always bridge Sentinel 3s for LCRs if I need to .... 😜
If you are concerned just have Alcons ship the first two Sentinel 3’s , hook them up to your L,C,R’s and if you find the output lacking have them sub a couple of 10’s with an up charge for the difference when they ship the rest. I’m sure they will work with you on that. The 10’s are used for Rock Concerts etc, except for powering their subs, I can’t imagine the need for them in even a large HT.
Lygren and Chris Austria like this.
post #13 of 15 Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks
The LCR's are CRMS MkII's, 1500W per speaker is plenty even if your name is Peter.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG] I also have 10 Seaton F18's so they don't need a lot of output below 40HZ.
My current platform behind the screen is 2 feet or so high on which Seaton catalysts are situated . Once I place CRMS MkII on that platform , the tweeter will be way above the optimal height . Do you know if MH module can be angled down while attached to the LF module ?

Thanks
post #14 of 15 Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My current platform behind the screen is 2 feet or so high on which Seaton catalysts are situated . Once I place CRMS MkII on that platform , the tweeter will be way above the optimal height . Do you know if MH module can be angled down while attached to the LF module ?

Thanks
Yes, it can swivel horizontally and can tilt vertically and be tighten down once you get the angle you want. I’m not sure the angle range of the tilt. On a 2 foot platform that would put the top of the speaker at about 60 inches, with the center of the ribbon tweeter at about 54-5 inches. If you ears are 42-4 inches the negative tilt should be well within the range. In addition the ribbon vertical dispersion is 40 degrees / 20 below axis which would cover you even without the tilt.

Last edited by Lasalle; Yesterday at 08:31 PM.
post #15 of 15 Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Yes, it can swivel horizontally and can tilt vertically and be tighten down once you get the angle you want. I’m not sure the angle rangle of the tilt. On a 2 foot platform that would put the top of the speaker at about 60 inches, with the center of the ribbon tweeter at about 54-5 inches. If you ears are 42-4 inches the negative tilt should be well within the range.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)