Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 01-09-2019, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Home theater 5.1.2 opinion on choices.

Hello all, putting a (mostly) dedicated home theater in the basement. The room is an 8 ft ceiling height and is 19x15. It will have a 6x4 opening in the rear wall that contains a bar top, because I want to . I know it's not ideal for theater sound but I also want to play darts and drink at the bar with the guys while game is on in theater room.

My budget for Receiver, speakers, and subs is about $2000- $2500. Here is what I put together with basically zero knowledge on anything audio system related.

* edited updated list
Denon AVR-X3400H IN-Command $500-600
Chane A2.4 X3 For left right and Center Total $800 ish after package discount
Chane A1.4 X2 Rear speakers $275
rsl c34e X2 in ceiling speakers $250
HSU VTF-2 MK5 Subwoofer $525

I'm more than open to suggestions for other speakers or a sub, I don't mind spending a bit more on one or more of the components if I can get a substantial upgrade for a bit more money. Also if you think something isn't worth the value please let me know.

Thanks.

Last edited by Adam King; 01-10-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-09-2019, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam King View Post
I went with Polk because I figured getting the same brand might help avoid any compatibility problems ( might not matter, I don't know).
Just wanted to chime in and say that the only suggestion for keeping the same brand are for the fronts and center. Not having the same brand for the surrounds or sub doesn't really matter as much.
Adam King likes this.
post #3 of 34 Old 01-09-2019, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Well here’s my thoughts on this system, sorry for any bluntness.

Matching brand speakers does nothing especially if they aren’t even from the same line. You might be closer to matching a B&W Center with the TSI towers than the Signature series center.

I don’t actually have a problem with the TSI towers if you are getting them for $250 a piece, but if you would like to take your system a step up, Chane A5.4 towers ($370 if the sale is still going on) or Emotiva T1’s ($350 a piece) are where I would head. Both of these brands are ID (Internet Direct) and cannot be found in stores. They cut down on prices by avoiding retail markup and provide better performing speakers for a lower price.

That receiver is decent, not at that price however. Instead head to Accessories4Less.com and pick up either a refurb 676 for $250 or Denon X(?)400H receiver (?=1-4 depending on how much you would like to spend. 1, 2, and 3 are true 7.2 receivers. (That Onkyo is 7.1) The 3 and 4 series get a better room correction and the 4 gets 11 channel processing with 9 Amplifed channels).

Next, the subwoofer. Run, don’t walk, from that subwoofer. If you think that one sounded good, boy do I have something for you. $600 right? For $600 you can get either a HSU VTF2 or Rythmik LV12F subwoofer and have money left over for some dinner to eat while listening to your new system.

Cables and wires. Head to amazon and grab yourself a roll of 14 Gauge Mediabridge OFC wire. And some banana plugs. Doesn’t matter what brand, they all work. Cheaper is usually just as good as super expensive tbh. Don’t get anything from Best Buy. I hate Best Buy. Everyone should hate Best Buy and their overpriced electronics and idiotic salesmen.

Have fun :P
cocrh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 01-09-2019, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Well here’s my thoughts on this system, sorry for any bluntness.

Matching brand speakers does nothing especially if they aren’t even from the same line. You might be closer to matching a B&W Center with the TSI towers than the Signature series center.

I don’t actually have a problem with the TSI towers if you are getting them for $250 a piece, but if you would like to take your system a step up, Chane A5.4 towers ($370 if the sale is still going on) or Emotiva T1’s ($350 a piece) are where I would head. Both of these brands are ID (Internet Direct) and cannot be found in stores. They cut down on prices by avoiding retail markup and provide better performing speakers for a lower price.

That receiver is decent, not at that price however. Instead head to Accessories4Less.com and pick up either a refurb 676 for $250 or Denon X(?)400H receiver (?=1-4 depending on how much you would like to spend. 1, 2, and 3 are true 7.2 receivers. (That Onkyo is 7.1) The 3 and 4 series get a better room correction and the 4 gets 11 channel processing with 9 Amplifed channels).

Next, the subwoofer. Run, don’t walk, from that subwoofer. If you think that one sounded good, boy do I have something for you. $600 right? For $600 you can get either a HSU VTF2 or Rythmik LV12F subwoofer and have money left over for some dinner to eat while listening to your new system.

Cables and wires. Head to amazon and grab yourself a roll of 14 Gauge Mediabridge OFC wire. And some banana plugs. Doesn’t matter what brand, they all work. Cheaper is usually just as good as super expensive tbh. Don’t get anything from Best Buy. I hate Best Buy. Everyone should hate Best Buy and their overpriced electronics and idiotic salesmen.

Bluntness is exactly what I want. I have no clue what I'm doing, I just basically found speakers and subs around price point that had the best amazon reviews. Thanks!
I mean the biggest issue I have with all this is I don't know if I even need to take a step up or not. I don't really know what I listed would really give me in the room. I just don't want it to be crap sounding in the movie room.
post #5 of 34 Old 01-09-2019, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bluntness is exactly what I want. I have no clue what I'm doing, I just basically found speakers and subs around price point that had the best amazon reviews. Thanks!

I mean the biggest issue I have with all this is I don't know if I even need to take a step up or not. I don't really know what I listed would really give me in the room. I just don't want it to be crap sounding in the movie room.

Well you did pretty well considering Amazon is full of a buncha crackheads who hand out 5 stars to just about anything that sounds “good” and that’s probably in comparison to a Bose system.

As long as your room is not cube shaped and there is no Bose in your room, I doubt anything will sound like “crap” especially those brands I mentioned. All are highly praised by just about everyone on the forum and you can’t really go wrong with them.
Adam King likes this.
post #6 of 34 Old 01-09-2019, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Looks like Chane has a bundle discount. I put 2 A5.4 towers for left and right, 1 A2.4 for center and 2 A1.4 for surrounds in cart and bundle discount was 150.00 so total of 1686.00 and create a login to get free shipping. That would be a very sweet system! Add the Rythmik sub as Russdawg1 mentioned and you are around 2250 and Best Buy might have Onkyo receivers on sale just before super bowl so watch for that as it is sometimes $250 for the TX-NR676.
post #7 of 34 Old 01-09-2019, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
Looks like Chane has a bundle discount. I put 2 A5.4 towers for left and right, 1 A2.4 for center and 2 A1.4 for surrounds in cart and bundle discount was 150.00 so total of 1686.00 and create a login to get free shipping. That would be a very sweet system! Add the Rythmik sub as Russdawg1 mentioned and you are around 2250 and Best Buy might have Onkyo receivers on sale just before super bowl so watch for that as it is sometimes $250 for the TX-NR676.
http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/ind...undles/listing

Looks like the bundle is $1347. I'm 6 months from the theater being done and I might pull the trigger lol.

Last edited by Adam King; 01-09-2019 at 10:51 PM. Reason: whhops
post #8 of 34 Old 01-09-2019, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/ind...undles/listing

Looks like the bundle is $1347. I'm 6 months from the theater being done and I might pull the trigger lol.

They are fantastic speakers...

Do get a Denon receiver however. Audessey XT32 is a game changer if you can swing the X3400 from Accessories4Less.com
post #9 of 34 Old 01-09-2019, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
They are fantastic speakers...

Do get a Denon receiver however. Audessey XT32 is a game changer if you can swing the X3400 from Accessories4Less.com
I'm a bit sketchy on refurbs, is that website all refurbs? It seemed like it to me when I was browsing.
post #10 of 34 Old 01-09-2019, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm a bit sketchy on refurbs, is that website all refurbs? It seemed like it to me when I was browsing.

It is. But these guys are probably the number one trusted place to buy a receiver on AVS. If you ask on the receiver forum I’m willing to bet 99% of them will tell you to go to A4Less.

If you read the “Item Condition” section, A4Less tells you that most aren’t actually refurbished. More like open box. It’s a good read and very informational. It should be quite reassuring. Not to mention they sell extended warranties for a cheap as $26 if you are that worried which I would not be because that would be losing faith in the credibility of AVS forum as a whole!
post #11 of 34 Old 01-09-2019, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 147
If you want new crutchfield sometimes has open box and scratch and dent for lower but all new receivers. This X3400 is the one to get for the XT32 Audyssey.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX...and.html?cc=07
post #12 of 34 Old 01-09-2019, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for all the help already, I just found this site a month or so ago and it's amazingly informative. One thing i'm not too sure of is the Ohms. The dennon receiver says it's pushing 105 watts per channel at 8 ohms. The ChaneA5.4's are 6 ohms. From what I understand that is OK, I just wouldn't want to push 6 ohms into a 8 ohm speaker right?

Also, if the receiver is only pushing 105 watts per channel, and the speaker says recommended 25-250 watts. I am just not pushing the speaker anywhere near capacity correct?
post #13 of 34 Old 01-09-2019, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot for all the help already, I just found this site a month or so ago and it's amazingly informative. One thing i'm not too sure of is the Ohms. The dennon receiver says it's pushing 105 watts per channel at 8 ohms. The ChaneA5.4's are 6 ohms. From what I understand that is OK, I just wouldn't want to push 6 ohms into a 8 ohm speaker right?

Also, if the receiver is only pushing 105 watts per channel, and the speaker says recommended 25-250 watts. I am just not pushing the speaker anywhere near capacity correct?

It’s really complicated to explain the whole mess of manufacturer ratings and speaker ohms but yes you will be fine. As a general rule for any speaker, you will be fine as long as you aren’t cranking the volume to 11. But with this setup you can definitely crank to 11 with no problems. Especially with a subwoofer and crossed over at 80hz.
post #14 of 34 Old 01-09-2019, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Alright so updated list based on suggestion would look like
Dennon AVR-X3400H for $600
Chane 2x A5.4 , 1x2.4 and 1x1.4 for a total of$1350
VTF-2 MK5 Subwoofer for $519

That leaves the ceiling speaker, thoughts on a brand that would work well with my setup.

It's $450 more than what I put together, but if it's significantly better than so be it, it's only money right lol.
post #15 of 34 Old 01-10-2019, 12:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That leaves the ceiling speaker, thoughts on a brand that would work well with my setup.

It's $450 more than what I put together, but if it's significantly better than so be it, it's only money right lol.

I’d go with RSL’s In-Ceiling speakers. Hard to beat for their price.

The Denon is $500 I thought? Or are you getting the one off Crutchfield?

If you need to cut down on pricing, I would go with 3 A2.4’s for your LCR which should save you $200ish. You probably won’t hear the difference between the A2.4’s and A5.4’s when you have a subwoofer integrated with it.

Another way to save money would be to go with a Denon X2400 or X1400 even. Off A4Less to save even more money.

If you save enough money, repurpose it towards getting a VTF3 instead. The upgrade will be phenomenal from the VTF2.

And I’m guessing you already know not to get cable from Best Buy or equivalent right? Mediabridge or Monoprice 14 Gauge off Amazon is real nice quality and only $30/100ft. Banana plugs are quite cheap too.
post #16 of 34 Old 01-10-2019, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2613 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Quote:

For mainly HT/TV usage you don't really need towers. The HSU sub will be handling everything below 80-90hz. The main advantage to having towers is deeper bass extension which your sub has well covered. If you did a lot 2 channel music listening towers would make more sense. Alternatively, you can just get an HSU Hybrid 2 package and call it a day. Just add a 2nd VTF-2 later on you'd have a killer setup.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2mk5pkg.html

Having recently upgraded to a Denon X3400 I can confirm that having audyssey XT32 is a huge step up from entry level AVR's. The only caveat is you can't expand beyond 7.1/5.1.2. If you go with A4L, adding and extended warranty will only save you about $50 so may as well get a new one from crutchfield with full 3yr warranty.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #17 of 34 Old 01-10-2019, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

I'm a bit surprised that both of you suggested to do away with the L and R tower speakers and replace them with bookshelf speakers. You both said you thought I wouldn't notice a difference which makes me wonder what their purpose is and why people would get the tower speakers? Are they more designed for setups that don't include a sub woofer?

*Edit
Quote:
The main advantage to having towers is deeper bass extension which your sub has well covered
Ignore that question above lol

If I were to save the money and go with the bookshelf speakers would they need a stand to sit on, or would they simply sit on the ground in the front of the theater?

Also, My expected cost for the projector and screen came in significantly lower than I had originally thought, I think I wouldn't mind getting a 9 channel receiver in case I decide the room need a 7.2.2 or a 5.2.4 setup in the future. Whats the thought on the Denon AVR-X4400H IN-Command or is this receiver and that many speakers overkill for this size room?

Last edited by Adam King; 01-10-2019 at 04:38 PM.
post #18 of 34 Old 01-10-2019, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 234
For HT you generally do not need towers because the sub(s) handle the bass duties. Since the speakers do not have to produce the bass, they will put less strain on the amps in the receiver as the bass frequencies are the most taxing. However if you use Bookshelf speakers you have the added cost of speaker stands or wall mounts depending on your installation. Depending on the stands you use it may not cost you much more to go with towers over bookshelf speakers from the same line.

Towers are good for large rooms or for 2.0 music listening setups where you are not likely to need the sub 20hz frequencies that create the rumble in action movies.
post #19 of 34 Old 01-10-2019, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised that both of you suggested to do away with the L and R tower speakers and replace them with bookshelf speakers. You both said you thought I wouldn't notice a difference which makes me wonder what their purpose is and why people would get the tower speakers? Are they more designed for setups that don't include a sub woofer?

*Edit

Ignore that question above lol

If I were to save the money and go with the bookshelf speakers would they need a stand to sit on, or would they simply sit on the ground in the front of the theater?

Stand

Common choice is the Monolith stands and some bluetac for stability.
post #20 of 34 Old 01-10-2019, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

if you are sold on you initial setup you could just switch the sub to a better sub from Rhtymik Audio, Hsu Research, or Monoprice Monolith for about the same amount of money. If you ditch the towers you could use the saving to upgrade to a more male enhancing sub.
post #21 of 34 Old 01-10-2019, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarc View Post
if you are sold on you initial setup you could just switch the sub to a better sub from Rhtymik Audio, Hsu Research, or Monoprice Monolith for about the same amount of money. If you ditch the towers you could use the saving to upgrade to a more male enhancing sub.
Agreed, would you all recommend 2 VTF-2 MK5's, one now, and one later. Or would you got with one VTF-3 MK5. The room is just about 2,000 cubic feet with an opening in the back.
post #22 of 34 Old 01-10-2019, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

I think 2 VTF-2 are good enough for most people. When decoding between two smaller subs or one larger I would opt for the two. If you start with one you may find that you don't need a second in your situation. The VTF-3 is very tempting but it will have a larger footprint in your room so I would make sure you can place it in a way that doesn't impose in the room.
post #23 of 34 Old 01-10-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agreed, would you all recommend 2 VTF-2 MK5's, one now, and one later. Or would you got with one VTF-3 MK5. The room is just about 2,000 cubic feet with an opening in the back.

Large area, large subwoofer. I vote the VTF3.

How many major seating positions do you have? If it’s greater than 3, then I would consider the VTF2’s.
post #24 of 34 Old 01-10-2019, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

We were thinking a normal couch or maybe a 3 person theater seating, and a couple of those huge bean bag chair plopped on the floor in front of the couch.
post #25 of 34 Old 01-10-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 2192
Quote:
We were thinking a normal couch or maybe a 3 person theater seating, and a couple of those huge bean bag chair plopped on the floor in front of the couch.
My room is 1600 cubic feet and while one sub provided good coverage with no noticeable weak areas within the listening area, adding a second sub still made a nice improvement in the overall sound. So, it sounded good with one sub, with two subs it sounded better.

Plan on getting two subs.

Onkyo makes a 9 channel AVR for around $600-$650 new. If you can find a Denon 4400 for around $800-$900 it's a very nice receiver that can actually do 11 channels with an additional amp if you ever wanted to go for more than 9 channels.

JMO but I'd never buy expensive electronics from A4L. If there are no problems then everything is cool, if you end up with issues their return policy is poor and they don't service anything. Crutchfield has free shipping and a 60 day trial period with full factory warranties.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #26 of 34 Old 01-10-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked: 1251
Quote:
I believe that all the receivers are refurbs. I bought a Denon AVR-X4300H from them about 20 months ago. It looked new, down to the stickers on the AVR that advertised its features.

Some of the speakers are new, though. I got some new Canton Plus X.3 for use as Atmos overheads.

Last edited by bobknavs; 01-10-2019 at 08:32 PM.
post #27 of 34 Old 01-10-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked: 1251
Quote:
(snip)

Don’t get anything from Best Buy. I hate Best Buy. Everyone should hate Best Buy and their overpriced electronics and idiotic salesmen.

I buy stuff from Best Buy, if I can get it at a reasonable price. (They do price matches, so that can help. The only price matches I've done were for their web prices. The price on the rack may be higher than on their web site.) Best Buy also has a pretty good return policy.

Don't go in there without knowing what you're doing, though. Their advice is not to be trusted, even when they are not trying to upsell you. (Which they often are.) I have found some knowledgeable people there, and others who made stuff up. (I don't usually say "stuff".) It's a dangerous place for the unwary. Some accessories (especially cables) tend to be greatly overpriced. Don't buy anything of that sort there unless you need it immediately, and can't get it elsewhere locally. If you compare online, the price ratio will be shocking.

BB has actually improved in at least one way. The regular floor people aren't on commission, I believe, but they used to get some sort bonuses for selling extended warranties. I have been told that such warranties were actuarially determined to gave an average profit of 85%.
post #28 of 34 Old 01-11-2019, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

I went into Best Buy to hear some of the speaker and to let the wife see what a projector could look like, it was crazy how much the guy there was trying to up sell me. I do use best buy for some stuff sometimes, a few buck more to get an item now versus a week or two is worth it to me, but mostly I look for the better deals online.

The sub woofer the guy at best buy recommended I found for $200 less online in about 30 seconds, it's pretty obvious why they are about to go under.
post #29 of 34 Old 01-11-2019, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I went into Best Buy to hear some of the speaker and to let the wife see what a projector could look like, it was crazy how much the guy there was trying to up sell me. I do use best buy for some stuff sometimes, a few buck more to get an item now versus a week or two is worth it to me, but mostly I look for the better deals online.

The sub woofer the guy at best buy recommended I found for $200 less online in about 30 seconds, it's pretty obvious why they are about to go under.

Doubt it was a good subwoofer anyways. You can also price match.
post #30 of 34 Old 01-11-2019, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Just look at my signature...I am very happy with this route and if I had to do it over would do exactly the same...the X4300 instead of the X3400 is the only thing I would change in your case...

Denon x4300H
Ascend Acoustics CMT 340 L/C/R with HTM 200 Surrounds
Rythmik LVX12
Oppo 203
(2) V.B.S.S w/ NX3000D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers