View Poll Results: Have You Cut the Cord to Cable and/or Satellite Service?
Yes, I get all my TV online 101 13.52%
Yes, I get all my TV over the air 35 4.69%
Yes, I get all my TV online and over the air 212 28.38%
No, I have cable service 214 28.65%
No, I have satellite service 143 19.14%
No, I have both cable and satellite service 11 1.47%
I watch no TV programming at all 31 4.15%
Voters: 747. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 112Likes

post #181 of 246 Old 06-27-2015, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Absolutely!
Actually, it's the hours upon hours of time wasted watching commercials each week..... That's what's bad for your health. Cut the cord and say goodbye to commercials forever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 246 Old 06-27-2015, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimv1983 View Post
I'd love to cut cable but trying to get everything from other sources in good quality just isn't possible for me yet.

Agreed. I need both cable and Netflix to satisfy my demands. I have put myself in a position to watch 2 hours a day. I particularly like action ad Sci Fi and there simply is not enough quality programing (action and Sci F both have to have quality acting, scripts, effects etc.).

When I was young and ambitious I did not watch much TV at all. Now that I am older it is one of my favorite thing to do, especially since I have spent a small fortune on my HT.
post #183 of 246 Old 06-27-2015, 02:33 PM

Not sure what you mean by "not enough quality programming". Netflix & Amazon Prime have a ton of both action & scifi programming. If you aren't seeing them, you aren't looking very hard. They are two of my favorite genre's as well and the selection available is huge. One thing I would suggest is resetting your Netflix settings. The way it's set up in the beginning its a direct result of what is actually being displayed within your viewing menus. Netflix programming can be updated so you can view a lot more genres and sub genres. Many folks forget they can go in and adjust this which is why they think there isn't enough programming available to cut the cord.
I know both of the services I've mentioned update/add new programming around the 15th of every month. I can assure you the majority of programming your watching on network, cable or satellite tv already is, (or soon will be) available through Netflix or Prime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 246 Old 06-27-2015, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I cut the cable because it was no longer a value proposition. I currently view only OTA, but I'm thinking of subscribing to Sling TV to fill in a few gaps that my wife and I miss. Any opinions from current Sling TV subscribers?
post #185 of 246 Old 06-27-2015, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I don't watch TV at all.
post #186 of 246 Old 06-29-2015, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Bye bye cable TV!
post #187 of 246 Old 06-29-2015, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr671 View Post
Not sure what you mean by "not enough quality programming". Netflix & Amazon Prime have a ton of both action & scifi programming. If you aren't seeing them, you aren't looking very hard. They are two of my favorite genre's as well and the selection available is huge. One thing I would suggest is resetting your Netflix settings. The way it's set up in the beginning its a direct result of what is actually being displayed within your viewing menus. Netflix programming can be updated so you can view a lot more genres and sub genres. Many folks forget they can go in and adjust this which is why they think there isn't enough programming available to cut the cord.
I know both of the services I've mentioned update/add new programming around the 15th of every month. I can assure you the majority of programming your watching on network, cable or satellite tv already is, (or soon will be) available through Netflix or Prime.
I guess it depends on how you choose what you watch. I don't just browse Netflix to find things I might like. I know what I want to watch and I go where that is. I'm a big sci-fi fan as well.

Netflix does have some good stuff.

As far as Amazon Prime, I don't have it but I have looked at the selection many times when at people's house that do have it and in my experience that selection that is included with a Prime account is pretty bad.
Dhalmo likes this.
post #188 of 246 Old 06-29-2015, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutt132 View Post
I don't watch TV at all.
hutt132 likes this.
post #189 of 246 Old 06-29-2015, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Absolutely!
Actually, it's the hours upon hours of time wasted watching commercials each week..... That's what's bad for your health. Cut the cord and say goodbye to commercials forever!
Or just get a DVR and fast forward past the commercials. The only time I watch commercials is when I'm watching baseball where I'd rather not have a time delay. Everything else I just record and skip the commercials. I would say that most people aren't willing to miss out on what they like to watch because they would have to watch commercials.

Cut the cord and say goodbye to commercials forever.....along with several things you might enjoy watching.
Dhalmo likes this.
post #190 of 246 Old 06-29-2015, 09:13 PM

The difference is, I don't need to watch a program the day it comes out. I'd much rather have the ability to watch multiple episodes at once.

S5 tap'n
post #191 of 246 Old 07-06-2015, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

My definition of quality programing is most movies that get over 70% fresh on rotten tomatoes.

And yes, I know....critics can often be wrong, But when 80 critics like a movie, and 20 don't I usually will find it to be quality cinema. For action movies, I lower my requirement to 70%. For Science fiction I go all the way down to 60%

I spend almost as much time researching as watching. I look everywhere. I will change my settings on Netflix, and I may find some more features...but I doubt it. Yes, I have looked on amazon and many many other sources (HK action forums etc.)

There are a lot of good shows that are considered to be sy fy, but there is very little genuine sy fy.

Take Defiance, for example. There was a fantastic battle the first season, but now it is basically a soap opera set in the future with "aliens" that are just actors with makeup. It is a decent show, but it does not help sate my desire for more genuine sci fi. Falling Skies is more genuine Sci Fi (although about to jump the shark).

The channel Sy Fy has some decent shows, but 95% of their movies are garbage.
post #192 of 246 Old 08-19-2015, 10:57 PM

I don't even bother with critics. I've been burnt by "reviews & ratings" from all the big sources (RT, IMDB, MetaData, etc) and have gone years of not watching a movie or show because of what "other" people think. It's a complete waste of time, which you obviously know if you're researching as much as you're watching. Wow! Smh
Then years later I'll say eff it and watch a movie that everyone hated and I ended up loving it. So yeah, I quit worrying about what critics say years ago and make up my own mind.
I watch a trailer and if it's something I think I'll like I watch it. If it doesn't grab me in the first hour, or second episode, I ditch it. Simply as that.
But hey, there is no right or wrong way.....whatever works for you.
post #193 of 246 Old 08-20-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 589
An Addict

Hello! I am Mark and I am an addict!

Yes, I was born addicted to TV and my earliest memories of feeding this addiction was with a 12-in B&W back in the days when none of the seven channels we received were able to transmit in color. And being less than 10 miles SSW of Mt. Wilson all the major broadcast stations in the Los Angeles area came in crystal clear, even with mere rabbit ears. Years later we (actually, my parents) purchased a 21-in color TV, just in time for the Fall 1965 schedule that included many prime time color shows.

Now that I am retired and can easily afford it, I am still feeding my addiction, this time with:
% Viewing TimeCord or ServiceViewing DeviceComments
40%Cable32-in HDTVWith the "Triple Play" plan that gives me "Digital preferred" HD plan and several movie channels, I am finding several series and older movies that aren't in the Netflix inventory. This is also how I watch current shows. Currently most viewing is time-delayed/commercial-skipped via an HD DVR.
35%Netflix Disc50-in HDTV, occasionally 32-in HDTVGenerally my preferred method of watching movies (especially if Netflix has it on Blu-ray) and seasons of shows I hadn't seen or am rewatching. Right now I am on the 5-out plan with the Blu-ray option. (It seems Blu-ray is the best chance of seeing a movie in its original aspect ratio.)
20%Netflix Streaming50-in HDTVWhile I generally prefer disc, some titles are streaming only, and sometimes the convenience of streaming is worth it if the title isn't an action flick or a nature documentary that just about demands Blu-ray PQ.
5%YouTubePCSome YouTube channels have content I can't get by any other methods, and a few are duplicates of what I used to watch on TV that are also posted on YouTube and it is actually easier to just set up a subscription on YouTube than to program the DVR to capture just one weekly occurrence of those shows (which broadcast multiple times a week and don't show "new" in the DVR program guide).
The above percentages are roughly what I think is the annual average, with major variations (e.g., cable watching goes up if I am watching a bunch of Christmas specials or if Syfy is having some sort of marathon weekend that look especially interesting, and most recently the Marx Brothers day on TCM and next week there will be a day with a lot of musical comedies, or cable watching will go down and Netflix goes up if we are in the doldrums between seasons).

Before a Comcast rep had found the kink in my armor (the offer they gave included TCM, and I missed many of the old classics that Netflix didn't have in their inventory), I was on their "Digital Starter" TV plan and watching more Netflix discs.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!

Last edited by Mark12547; 08-20-2015 at 03:03 PM.
post #194 of 246 Old 08-20-2015, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I NEED broadcast tv even the free channels as background noise and stimulation, streaming just isnt the same as that way if a newsflash comes on I get the information and I get a set type of things to watch as just having streaming means you have to pick yourself so ends up being like boxsets and you dont get to watch new stuff.

Second to that SD content looks awful on streaming due to lower bit rate and such and any 4:3 content even on a 4:3 screen has bars at the side, plus adverts on streaming are worse on many services since if you close the browser or such you must watch the adverts at start and middle all over again(at least on UK stuff) and you are unable to download it to use on a good media player.
post #195 of 246 Old 08-22-2015, 01:55 AM

You need to do more research, get a better internet connection, OTA antenna, or combination of all of the above. Maybe it's your station availability or your t.v. but I get 13 crystal clear broadcast channels via OTA antenna, and both SD & HD programming look way better OTA then via cable or satellite. We still watch many network shows and news stations. My Samsung plasma has a "screen fit" option that provides a great 4:3 picture in 16:9 aspect ratio. All of my SD streamed content looks great and that's on a 20-40mpbs data connection. There are also plenty of DVRs that will record OTA and/or streaming media. It's simply a matter of educating yourself and setting up your system correctly.
It's not for everyone, but it works great for us and I'll never pay for cable or satellite again.
post #196 of 246 Old 08-22-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 352
No cord cutting for me. I've had DirecTV since 2007, and before that, cable. I like DirecTV -- it's a fairly high quality picture that my TV upconverts nicely to 4k pseudo-hdr, and the set top box with dvr is very convenient. I don't get any TV signals over the air, since there is a range of cliffs between me and the Honolulu broadcast towers. At present, my internet bandwidth is insufficient for streaming quality TV, so for news and documentaries, what I mostly watch, there is no plausible alternative.

Greg Lee
post #197 of 246 Old 08-22-2015, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Watch OTA local shows when needed and wife Hulu's the rest :-)
post #198 of 246 Old 09-05-2015, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
The biggest upside from dumping cable service has been discovering how much time was chewed up sifting through the endless delivered program content. It's been far more enjoyable to self-select content and decide whether or not to invest time in watching a show at a pace which doesn't interfere with more vital priorities.
Shniks and cr671 like this.
post #199 of 246 Old 09-06-2015, 12:59 AM

Absolutely et1982!
Between that and wasting so much time watching commercials, cutting the cord is the only logical move in this day and age.
post #200 of 246 Old 09-06-2015, 06:40 AM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
Quote:
Absolutely et1982!
Between that and wasting so much time watching commercials, cutting the cord is the only logical move in this day and age.
Nice. Satellite is the only option out here in the boonies.
post #201 of 246 Old 09-06-2015, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
honestly only thing holding us back from that is select shows we dvr and nfl sunday ticket. (and most sports honestly)
post #202 of 246 Old 09-07-2015, 01:52 AM

Yeah, I know that's been a major concern for most of the members on the Android forum I frequent. Pro sports was a big problem for me as well....initially. Aside from the from the occasional PGA tournament, NBA game or X-Game programming which I can usually catch on network tv OTA, the NFL is the only professional sport that I'm really concerned about. Between Verizon's NFL Mobile app, and a Miami Dolphins app that streams all of my Dolphins games, I'm completely covered. I also have access to a website that streams any pro game for ANY pro sport, live. (VIPBox.tv. - it has a few popup ads when you first go to the site, or click in your teams live stream, so be careful not to click on those & risk downloading some garbage to your device. All streaming content/games are free, so don't be bamboozled into thinking you have to download anything or pay for this service)
I know it's not for everyone, but it works for me.

Last edited by cr671; 09-13-2015 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Update
post #203 of 246 Old 09-07-2015, 03:56 AM

We like a few shows on disc as well, especially Game of Thrones. They provide awesome behind the scenes footage and commentary that is just as interesting as the show itself.
post #204 of 246 Old 09-12-2015, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Not rid of satellite yet but may be getting there. Have been using Roku and SlingBox more. Got the Slingbox to tap in to family cable in another state so we could watch our favorite sports teams (and not shell out big coin for Sunday Ticket).
post #205 of 246 Old 11-02-2015, 01:51 PM

Liked: 12
I cut the cord last year
cr671 likes this.
post #206 of 246 Old 01-30-2016, 02:39 AM

Liked: 10
No TV at all...
What a load of cr@p in there... I just watch news streamed sometimes...
post #207 of 246 Old 01-30-2016, 03:03 AM

News? That's worse than actual tv. I haven't watched the news in well over 10 years. It's all biased fear mongering bs and a complete waste of time IMO.

S5 tap'n
post #208 of 246 Old 03-24-2016, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My Amazon fire TV stick with KODI has been filling in for most of my needs!
post #209 of 246 Old 03-24-2016, 08:00 AM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
The OP doesn't understand the situation surrounding satellite users. Satellite users use satellite because they don't have enough internet speed or bandwidth to get something better. They can't cut the cord because they have limited metered internet. How do I know this? I'm one of them. Cutting the cord makes sense for cable users but it can't work for satellite users.
post #210 of 246 Old 03-24-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Currently I get my TV via OTA or streaming (Amazon, Sling, etc).

That said we are actually considering going back to cable or Dish because after adding up the little pieces we are paying for....Sling, Netflix, Hulu, et plus cost of a Tivo DVR + 3 Tivo Minis we are paying more without the convenience of having everything in one place and on one box. The new Dish Hopper 3 + Joeys is very tempting...at least for first 3 years.

My biggest issue with 'cutting the cord' is that between wife and kid and myself there is always one channel we like that is only available on a stream service we do not have so we end up with them all.....which ends up costing more end the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls